New Server

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by Anton, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

Hi motoredbikes.com members,

The forum has just been moved to a new more powerful server. Exciting stuff!

If there are any issues with the forum on the new server than please let me know here or send me a PM.

Cheers,
    Anton

2. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Will the chat room be open again soon?

3. mason_man

mason_man Active Member

Thanks Anton, It's a Great site!

Ray

Anton likes this.
  4. Anton

5. Racie35

Racie35 Member

Great Anton!

6. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

Just out of interest what sort of server is it running off now? specs?

7. Anton

It's on a VPS with 1024MB RAM. The share of CPU is worked out by priority. The old server was having real trouble keeping up, to the point where the forum was going down during peak traffic. The new one is running perfectly.

Dankoozy likes this.
  8. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

The new shared sever seems dandy, nice upgrade.

Multiple Virtual Private Networks on a single server have advanced a lot in recent years and I will assume it is a Lynx type OS since you run vBulleten Board.

9. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

It isn't slow anyway. I remember before this site was slow the odd day but never enough to bother me, or else I just came back to post some other day

I'm surprised how well it does for "only" 1GB of RAM, these forum softwares are filled to the brim with bloat these days. Definitely not written for efficiency

10. Anton

Linux OS. It's actually only using a fraction of that RAM at the moment too. The amount of tweaks needed to get vBulletin 4 running this smooth is another story. Out of the box there are so many features (as you say bloat) that can simply be turned off to reduce database queries, speed up page load time and reduce the overall server load.

11. KCvale

I run a dedicated Win2K3 server we built, it's an ungodly overkill monster for just serving web sites, 8 TB of disc space, 16G Ram, dual can't even remember what processors.

On it I run my own trimmed down and re-coded Snitz Forums 2000 forum base and access database so it scoots along faster than any load demands, it is all about bandwidth to the net and mine sits on a fat fiber pipe in Norway, not ideal for my mostly local audience but you can't argue with free.

Nice work here, the site scoots along just dandy ;-}

12. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

Heh. I have my own much under-utilised server with a 4-core xeon processor and 32gb ram, but only 120gb of storage (2 SSD's in raid 1) tipping away on my behalf in France. Not much on it of interest except a Gopher site (gopher protocol, you'll need a plugin / proxy / gopher client to access it) gopher://gopher.puggsy.net. Also have a small server (1ghz, 1gb of ram, 250gb) running off my DSL line with static IP that I use for file storage / emails. Though I'll be moving email to the big servers shortly

13. Qui Gon-Jinn

Qui Gon-Jinn New Member

Here's my "Office" system..

http://www.brinkster.com/Company/Datacenter.aspx

I have multiple accounts and Virtual machines.. nothing doing anything of worth wild. I am waiting on my own dedicated at this time. Just did a huge office move so it got put on the back burner.

Cost is free as I work here.

14. KCvale

Hehehe, nice 'office machine', I remember way back like a decade or more ago giving brinkster a try.

What are the odds 3 old computer geeks would windup meeting on a motorized bike forum talking internet servers?

I am far from being 'up with the times' but I love being able to remote access as Admin to my Windows 2003 server desktop and do whatever I please, it sure makes keeping what matters updated and test new code, for example I have this database of site members uploaded bike build data that didn't have a web index so I made this page to go along with my regular forum and static build listings earlier this month.

http://kcsbikes.com/ListBikes.asp?ID=2

For you savy guys the ?ID=2 is the registered user number that made a form generated DB bike listing and 2 is my ID as there are a couple hundred entries in the DB.

Just a different presentation of builds with a link to details but mighty handy to my customers and I and it didn't cost me anything but some thought and code time.

15. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

Time was when the internet was filled with nothing but computer geeks, all with the same interests and the same way of thinking. Sure we got along great altogether. Then the internet went all consumer and all these lolcats signed on who wanted everything handed to them on a silver plate by a bland megacorp, got all freaked out when strangers started chatting to them and drew a blank stare when anything technical was mentioned. Thus Facebook was invented.

An old saying was "The problem isn't that people are stupid, modems are too cheap"

16. KCvale

Modems didn't use to be cheap, I paid like $235 for an ISA slot 9600 baud dialup for my 8088 'IBM Compatible' DOS 3.3 PC back in the day.

Did you ever do any direct server dial-in BBSing back before the Internet Dan?
    I did a bunch of it, even hosted a single line Wildcat BBS for awhile for exchanging games.

You had to have some tech savy to make computers talk to each other way back then, now any stupid baby with a cell phone can access most anything.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome what the world wide web portion of the Internet can do for me, heck 95% of my business comes from my web site.