New Staton axle mounted kits

Reminds me a lot of The European Sachs Saxonette. The Sach is a well known , durable drive train which doesn't offset nearly as much as that one. They are mostly used around cities & suburbs & if I remember right, have a top speed of around 15mph.

Attachments

• Sachs Saxonette.jpg
    Sachs Saxonette.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 396
Has anyone actually tried or reviewed a Staton axle mounting yet?

Mounting1112810HPIM3806.JPG

Last edited:
I actually had to contact David Staton with a question about my Mitsubishi engine, and casually asked him about the axle mount kits. He speaks very highly of them, of course. He did bring up some interesting points about them. Two of them are fairly obvious....that the center of gravity is much lower than a rack-mount kit, and the engine noise gets moved further away from the rider. Another interesting thing that he mentioned was that there are no issues with chain alignment, due to the design. When I asked him about having the engine wide like it is, he responded with two interesting points - one, the engine is on the left side, so you wouldn't have to worry about hitting it on the curb. The other point was that although it looks wide in the photos, the rider's arms and handlebars sit further out than the engine, so the width really isn't an issue. He also mentioned some type of cover that he's making for regular rack mount kits that would not only conceal the engine (with proper venting for cooling, of course), but it also offers some type of trunk storage. It wasn't real clear to me what he was describing exactly, but it sounded like a good idea.

Warner

No report yet. I was hoping to make it this weekends prodject.... Haven't received it yet.

I got a call from Staton on Thursday asking what size hub or spokes I was installing it on. After a few minutes of discussion, I asked him what he recommended. He talked me into ordering a whole new rear tire with the sproket mounted on it. $70. Sounds a lot easier then relacing my wheel. I will post a review the day after I recieve it.

Yes: please write up your experience with the new kit asap.

My dealer is not convinced, and thinks from the look of it that there could be handling and vulnerability problems with it.

I spoke to Staton, & needless to say he's gushingly keen to sell me a kit (without engine) for $399!
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3669

image_thumbnailer.asp

Last edited:
too much

i am yet to see one of these bikes here in the uk with the motor so easilly displayed. Why are the prices of these bikes so high you can buy a car for these prices

Back