New Staton axle mounted kits

At $379 bucks for his "new" axle drive Staton should provide not only well written instructions but also installation guide video and free 800 # for support.

This overhyped axle drive is way overpriced considering its simplified and cheaper gearbox and thiny chain (comparing to Staton rack mount).

Staton's axle drive makes GEBE, new Q-matic or his own "old" rack mount and other competing drives look like a bargain.

His hype about axle drive is pathetic,

"Lowers center of gravity" - insignificant, center of gravity is mostly drivers weight which grossly outweighs bike end engine weight. This weight pivot is located at drivers butt (bike seat).

Moving 15lb of engine+drive weight about 12 inches lower as compared to let's say friction drive does very little to lower center of gravity of total weight 250-300 lb or more.

"Less noise" another hype, again moving engine lower 12 inches is not much of less noise.

I doubt it, especially if one uses exhaust pipe facing downwards or backwards.

But for the consumer it is good to have more choices and with all new drives in the works coming this season I am looking toward more good stuff (hopefully) coming on the market soon.

indeed, andyszyd...new products, good or bad, all start somewhere...with that first purchase and review...and i'd assume companys would be interested in what we the riders have to say. some will make it some won't, strotters' review suggests improvements are needed but i'll not be a naysayer just standing by for more news. you have to give staton credit for always trying new things anyway.

i have a hub-mounted currie electric and was quite impressed with it as an add-on to a bicycle...if i could strap a eho35 to something like that i'd think it would be pretty cool for the casual commuter, but wheel service could be tricky. and yup with our small engines i agree with you...COG and engine-noise are details i've quit worrying about some time ago with MB's.

Last edited:
To answer the question: 48 spoke wheel.

Rode it again yesterday. Man that gear box makes noise!! Does anybody know if that is normal?? Are they hard to take apart and grease if necessary?

Regarding changing the sprocket, will the one from spookey fit?? The staton one doesn't look like a standard one. Or, do I order one from spookey and have it drilled to fit the staton hub?

I will be putting a few more miles on it this weekend and give more feedback.

strotter, it appears to me that you're using a different chain...measuring pitch would help you find another sprocket, but didn't i see you say somewhere that tweaking the setup wasn't part of the plan? hehe, i guess we're just a bunch of helpless gearheads after all ;)

my EHO35 experience averages 26-30mph depending on payload, and i wouldn't realistically expect any more from it.

despite the noise, does it feel solid? the torque-arm is not unlike the currie design, being on the bottom of the stay provides all the resistance needed...but i wonder should it be longer with an ICE. time will tell...keep us posted :)

Last edited:
My chain drive Staton gear box came without lube (dry). It is a snap to take apart and lube. I just put some thick gear grease around each gear using my finger, making sure to get it all the way around by slowly turning the input shaft and pushing it deep into each cog. I pulled it apart after a year and left it alone as the grease was still in place and working. Leaving it dry for a few miles might help the gears wear into each other, but I would grease it after a bit. Clean it well before greasing as some wear products will be present after running it dry. Greasing the gears should quiet it a lot.

To answer the question: 48 spoke wheel.

Rode it again yesterday. Man that gear box makes noise!! Does anybody know if that is normal?? Are they hard to take apart and grease if necessary?

Regarding changing the sprocket, will the one from spookey fit?? The staton one doesn't look like a standard one. Or, do I order one from spookey and have it drilled to fit the staton hub?

I will be putting a few more miles on it this weekend and give more feedback.

cHECK THIS PAGE OUT:

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3610

If you have the 80-tooth sprocket, try to find a 22-tooth sprocket for the gearbox. That'll give you 18.18:1 gearing.

If you can't find that 22t, change the 80t to a 60t sprocket. Using your original 18t will give you 16.16:1 gears, which might be a little high for your needs. If so, then swap the gearbox sprocket to a 16t. With a 60t wheel sprocket, that gives you 18.75:1 gearing.

BTW, Staton's rack-mount gear chain drive is a standard 18.75:1 gearing.

When the engine is idling or switched off, is there any trace of drag from Staton's gearbox at all when pedalling?

Let us know if the gearbox noise continues to be an issue.

Last edited:
I got the subaru 33. Total with shipping was $522.
I was going to go with another friction drive, but staton conviced me to try this setup.

My biggest concern was freewheel/pedaling without the motor being on. According to a email response from Staton, the resistence is "absolutly zero".

I will keep you posted on the progress. (havn't recieved yet) If it comes today, I will install this weekend.....

Better than friction drive.
I wonder why ?

On my AMF Roadmaster with friction drive it had the engine rubber mounted. Not that much rubber but with the roller against the tire, everything is rubber mounted.

I am going to use VW bug motor mounts to rubber mount my Staton friction drive. Not all kits have that advantage.

Back