New subaru questions

well you guys have reminded me to change my oil in my little Subaru.. Only changed once - right after it was new !!! It looked pretty good - just a little black - at that time. I have read on this site in regards to others having gas gotten into their oil ?? That's strange to me - while working in a small engine shop years ago - I hardly never came across that - when I did - broken or worn out rings. May be something that happenes occasionally with these engins ? I am sure that you have seen the posts regarding synthetic oils - wonder what the manufact has to say about that ? Still dark - big ride today - Ride That Thing - Mountainman

joist hoist drain

Hey Happy, I just drained mine with the suction gun and expelled in the dirty oil bucket. Now you've got me wondering and I'm going out to hoist mine, reverse for my gebe, and get a clear look at what comes out. I'll let you know. Like Mtnman, I've never had trouble with gas in oil before. My little Subaru has good compression and pulls strong so rings shouldn't be a problem.

a turkey baster works well to change oil. something went wrong during breakin to get gas passed the rings. you washed down the rings. i would try someting like teflon addative to recondition the cylender and rings.

rich

I hear you Stude but my little motor has way good compression. It starts first pull, lifts the back of the bike if I'm not sitting on it or toe on the wheel. Plus the exhaust stinks of too much gas. I haven't emailed the Subaru guy yet. But I pulled my plug; sooty black and stumbles a bit after idling or running at part throttle too long. I just ran it another 20 miles and it pulls good even if it is too rich.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 233
I too had the engine bog down at full throttle going up a bridge. Back off a little and all is good. So, I'm thinking, what gives? Pulled the plug and just like above...carbon! My manual says clean the plug every 8hrs./daily. It had been about a week and a half of 4hr. runs. My outings last about 4hr. so, since then, I pull the plug every other trip, squirt it with brake parts cleaner, and hit it with a wire brush and check the gap. Never had the problem again. Shouldn't be running that rich though. No fuel in the oil either.

Hmm, who knows what size gears I should order from staton? My top speed is about 24ish mph and Id like to get it up around 35. I think I can handle the hills so this gear is just holding me back and probably killing my mileage. Im having to run the rpms to high.

Attachments

• Page 43.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Page 44.pdf
    72.3 KB · Views: 298
  • Page 45.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Page 46.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 285
inlet needle?

So other than rejetting to a smaller size all I can figure is a sticking or not fully seating inlet needle. Fuel in oil makes me think this is strong possibility. Never worked on diaphragm carb and hate to take things apart just guessing. Anybody have experience with these?

Back