New to Forum, 3rd Build. Doing It RIGHT This Time.

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by ultralite, Mar 16, 2015.

1. ultralite

ultralite New Member

Hello everyone, I have built 2 motorized bikes in the past and loved them but they were short lived and broke beyond (cost effective) repair. This summer I'm going to need transportation and the area I live is VERY busy in the summer. The population goes from a few thousand to over 500k in a matter of weeks. There are too many cars on the road and a bike is totally the way to go. I normally ride my bike in the summer and can get to my destination via bike paths, back roads and secret trails, sometimes faster then the traffic on the main road. HAHAHAHA! :evilgrin:

After being dissatisfied with the customer service at Kings MB, twice, I did a bunch of research and decided to spend the money and get a GEBE kit this time. The chain driven Chinese motors always freaked me out, I felt like my bike was just waiting to mess me up/blow up (it was fun thou!). I had the engine seize on me, stop the chain and I got dumped going down a hill. OW!!! Thankfully I know how to fall from riding a dirt bike as a kid, I walked away with a bent peddle and a hurt pride.

Now on to my current project.

I have a mid 90's GT Outpost trail, hard-tail mountain bike that I plan to affix a rear wheel belt driven GEBE motor to.

Day 1, Everything still on bike:

[​IMG]

Trashed cogs from rear cassette:

[​IMG]

2. ultralite

ultralite New Member

part 2

Day 2, stripped bike, painstaking angle grinder work to get off the cranks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3, Bottom bracket is FD! Have a friend coming over today to try and get it out. Yes that is suppose to be a sealed BB.

[​IMG]

Next is stripping and sanding the red paint off. I'm going for a classic home build BMX look, silver frame, colored tires and crank (Red to match my honda motor).

3. ultralite

ultralite New Member

My friend was able to get the bottom bracket out but I now need a rethread before I put a new crankset on.

[​IMG]

4. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

Why didn't you just get a crank puller and pull the cranks off?

5. ultralite

ultralite New Member

The threads are stripped, both for the cranks and BB, the tool doesn't work. And I tried knocking them off with every heavy/pry object I could find. Cutting was the only option. They were heading for the trash anyway.

6. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

What kind of build are you making?

7. ultralite

ultralite New Member

First I'm converting 21 speed to single, so new BB, crankset, chain and pedals, and a freewheel adapter. I have vertical dropouts so I need the chain tensioner too. It's getting a general over hall before the motor goes on. New breaks, lines, tires, tubes etc.

I also plan on getting a double kickstand, MSR fuel bottles and holders, steering dampener, new grip, mirror and lights.

This is going to be my main mode of transportation at the beach (I'm a surfing instructor).

MTB to general road bike conversion.

8. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

Nevermind. I see. You are going with a GEBE. I've got one for sale if your interested. It has only had one tank of gas run on it and it comes with a new with tags Robin Subaru eh035 on it. Also has the velocity rear wheel. It is in the for sale section of this forum.

9. ultralite

ultralite New Member

Thanks but I'm dead-set on the Honda GX35. I've had Honda everything growing up and plan to stick with it.

10. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

I've got a Honda GX35 too. The Subaru Robin eho35 is a better engine. It is made in Japan. The Honda gx35 is made in Thialand. Trust me the Robin Subaru EH035 is a better engine. If you want the Honda GX35 i'll sell it with that if you want it. Thanks

11. ultralite

ultralite New Member

Thanks, I wont be buying the motor until I complete the bike itself, so if its still available in a month I'll consider it.

12. ultralite

ultralite New Member

I'm about 40% done sanding the paint off (I don't sand inside)

[​IMG]

13. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

Looking good. You just going to clear coat it? Make sure you go with the 105 G rear wheel that GEBE sells. It will prevent broken spokes.

14. ultralite

ultralite New Member

I'm going to have it clear powder coated to preserve the raw metal look and powder coat the fork white. Extra $$ but worth the overall longevity of the bike.

Also a few broken spokes is much cheaper to replace then buying a $150 new wheel. I'm running 16 gage spokes (1.29mm) at the moment, I'll be ridding mostly flat ground with a pretty high gear ratio- 3.0 (42-14). So I doubt there will be a real need for the GEBE (2.5mm) wheel. MAYBE in the future, but not for this current build.