New to Motoredbikes: Check out my bike

pablobendiksen

Local time
6:56 AM
Hello everyone,

My name is Pablo Bendiksen here in Austin.

Does anyone remember StriderRides.com ? My bike was the last bike they ever made before they went under.

The Bike itself is great- custom built and stainless steel. However, the engine had problems from the start. Its long been replaced. Unfortunately I did not use filter on the fuel line for the second engine and particulates from the inner lining of the tank made their way into the cylinder and did some damage. The whole has been replaced for a third (and hopefully last) time. I paid a mechanic to install a new skyhawk GT5 2012 model. I just got the bike back today!

Let me know what you think of it.

Also, I'm still trying to learn more about these 2-stroke engines. I know my way around the carburetor and can clean it well. Other than that I'm not comfortable getting into the magneto or the clutch adjustment, let alone mounting. I appreciate any help I can get because I really, really don't want to screw this one up. I'll start by reading about proper break-in, my mechanic already put a pre-mix fully synthetic fuel into my tank, and I don't know the ratio he used (he works on mopeds).

I gave her a little test run and she hits about 25 mph... she used to top 37 easy. the fuel adjust screw is about 1 and a half turns from the richest setting (1 and a half turns counterclockwise). the old carb had a foam filter with that plastic cover (pic 1), this new one is a cone filter (pic 2). Will she ever go faster? does the filter type make a difference? powercat2.jpg

powercat.jpg

Cheers,

Pablo Bendiksen

p.s. I'm not a bot but the image verification step always gets me

Good lookin build. What kind of rear hub is that. It resembles a band brake hub.

Good lookin build. What kind of rear hub is that. It resembles a band brake hub.

Thanks! You got it- that hub used to be a complete gradual band brake. But it never really worked despite me sanding it down and cutting wedges into it. We replaced the front fork and installed front and rear V-brakes, oh man they work great!

I like that comfy seat!
Owning a 2 stroke is a learning experience. Dont be afraid to dig in.

Hi Pablo,

Nice bike! It's good to see cruiser bikes with a suspension fork. I had one on my Raleigh girlie cruiser. The suspension fork REALLY smoothed out the ride. Please keep your bike @ 25mph during breakin. With 44t sprocket, I can see why the second engine gave up. At 37mph, it was spinning more than 8,600rpm. Engline likes 5,500rpm @ 25mph for now.

Soon you won't need your mechanic. You'll be doing your own wrenching. BTW, mounting the engine will be second nature to you. It's in there now. Mark the frame when you pull the engine, and line up the next engine on those markings, when the time comes.

Myron

Back