New to Motoredbikes.com

Norm in Laguna

Local time
10:49 PM
Hello everybody, I'm Norm and new to the forum deal and kind of new to gas bikes. I built mine about 5 months ago, and having a blast. I put a 48cc angle fire on a beach cruzer, added a weld folding bike basket settup. It's all blacked out. It's my daily driver. I do at least 25-30 miles every day. I've been pretty lucky as far as everything working the way I want it too. The back rim-sprocket settup has been giving me a few fits, and killing chains. I've just about got it figured out. Anyway, I hope to get to know everybody here. I need all the advice I can get. Thanks.

It's always interesting to meet guys like you who ride their bikes everyday.
I think a lot of talent has gone to waste when I see a great deal of bikes in the picture gallery that are beautiful and photogenic but I bet that they seldom get much use, trailer queens, collectors items, passing fad.
How about some riding stories or do's and don'ts you've encountered?
Anyway welcome to the forum and ride safely

Daily riding

Hey professor and a/c man. Like I said, I've been riding my bike for about 5 months. And it's a real daily driver. My longest trip was to go get some parts, 62 mile round trip. It cruz's right along at about 20-25 mph. Which is plenty fast enough for me. I do my shopping and laundry and everything else on this thing. I'm getting addicted to riding it. The only problems I've really had is the back rim/sprocket set-up. I do a lot of up and down hills because of where I'm at, and I think that puts a strain on the rear sprocket and puts it slightly out of round. Not bad, but enough that it gets out of whack after a day of riding. I also replaced the chain roller guide with a good aftermarket one that hugs the chain and keeps it lined up. I'm real happy with the engine. It's got plenty of power to haul my 160lbs up hills. The clutch lever has to go. It's junk and stripped. I'm thinking of getting a clutch lever off something like a little dirtbike. I'm also thinking of a new carb. The one on it is adequate, but lacking. Riding in So.Cal. is a little scary. But all in all gasbikes are the way to go. Just start with a good bike. That seems to be the biggy. I'm in this for the long haul. I'm digging it.

Wow. You're one dedicated cyclist. If you could get yourself the SBP shift kit you could eliminate that rear wheel problem and do away with the chain tensioner. You'd need a "gear' bike with a derailler, but your riding enjoyment would go up a notch or ten. How about some pictures?
I bet the scenery in California blows away what I see here in Maryland.
I am lucky to put 15-20 miles a week on my bike, mostly on weekends.
Best of luck to you. Be seen, and be safe.
I hope you check nuts, bolts, chain etc. a lot. I know these things will rattle themselves to pieces.

Welcome

Hey norm you got a 415 chain? I have broke normal bike chains on drive sprocket. I have to tighten my rear axle once and a while it gets loose and wobbly. By the way ur a hardcore rider. I ride about as much as A/C man.

A 415 is my next move. I haven't busted a chain yet, but the bound-up so bad they were trash. Out of 600 or so miles, I'm on my third chain. I also don't like the back sprocket. It's a piece of junk. And the way it mounts to the rim, just isn't working. I don't have the means to cut the center to fit the hub right, so it's just kind of floating. And with my daily driving,.. well, it just wasn't meant for that. But some local guys have started a gasbike shop, and they've been great at helping me through this. They had their own sprocket made, and it's heavy duty and really cool. So for about $45 they'll set me up with a really nice wheel. SpookyTooth in Arizona sells a REALLY cool rim with a band break for about $150 and that's what I really want, but I just can't spend it right now. Their sprocket is bolted to the custom hub, not floating on the spokes. I also don't like the clutch lever. It's got to go. I plan to get a clutch lever off a small motorcycle. And I need to tweak the carb a little. It at least needs a better spring inside. All in all, I'm really happy with the bike. It gets me where I want to go, and it's fast enough for my lifestyle. I sold my car because this is all I need. No registration, no insurance. I'm onto this gasbike, and I'm not giving it up. With the Wald folding basket's, I'm good to go. This little 48cc anglefire doesn't always like the hills we have to take, but it still does it. If I lived in a flatland area, I'd really be a happy cruzer. I'll get some pics up of my cruzing route soon.

Hello everybody, I'm Norm and new to the forum deal and kind of new to gas bikes. I built mine about 5 months ago, and having a blast. I put a 48cc angle fire on a beach cruzer, added a weld folding bike basket settup. It's all blacked out. It's my daily driver. I do at least 25-30 miles every day. I've been pretty lucky as far as everything working the way I want it too. The back rim-sprocket settup has been giving me a few fits, and killing chains. I've just about got it figured out. Anyway, I hope to get to know everybody here. I need all the advice I can get. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Norm! We have a lot of Great Guys here, you should have no trouble Buying, selling , and trading! Not to mention the wealth of knowlege here to tap into! Good luck on your projects!

Back