new to motorized biking

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sawdust, Oct 15, 2012.

1. sawdust

sawdust Member

Hi all, Tony from Rising Sun, Md here..been looking at motorizing a single rider bike and thought why not motorize one of the tandems I have here in the shed. Pretty sure from what I've read that the 4 stroke motor is the way to go with this. Would love to hear back from others who have done this to a tandem. I'll post a pic of the tandem I'm going to be using here later.

2. sawdust

sawdust Member

Got the tandem out today from the shed..took a bit longer than I thought it would..the bike is a Kent that I purchased while in Germany in the later part of the 80's..has anyone put a motor on one of these before? The only fly in the ointment that I see might be the band brake on the left side. Tried to up load pic and all I got was upload failed.

3. Max-M

Max-M Member

Welcome, Tony! I haven't seen a motorized tandem, but that sounds like a cool idea, and I look forward to seeing your results.

I'm a 4-stroke guy. Although I don't know much about the 2-stroke motorized bicycles that seem to dominate this hobby, I've definitely gotten the impression that us 4-strokers have a bit more reliability going for us. And: 4-strokes are quieter, non-smoky, easier to fuel...etc.

Best of luck.

4. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

I have been messing around with motorized bikes for going on 5 years
    and I have seen quite a few tandems motorized with 66 cc 2 strokes,
    at least one of them in person in OC
    Seen some tandems motorized with friction and GEBE drives.

My buddy scotto has a 4 stroke motorized tandem that he has
    raced at willow Springs and may be racing in a few days at the
    next race on Saturday.

There are pics and maybe build threads here and elsewhere.

You just gotta search to find them........

5. sawdust

sawdust Member

Went to Bike Berry today and ordered the 4 stroke motor kit for the tandem. Took off the wheels and fenders tonight. Have to put on new tires and tubes as the old ones were dry rotted. Checked out another forum here on how to post pics. Will give that a go later.

6. sawdust

sawdust Member

pics

tried to add pics here tonight..saw warning on the right side that said my pics are too big..wtf? guess I'll have to play with the camera settings to take less mps..got the fenders sanded down and painted today...took off the brake drum and clean the wheel bearing then repacked them with better grease

7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

There was a motorized tandem bike at the Spookytooth Death Race I attended a few years back in Tucson. It ran very well.

8. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Member

Sawdust, have you looked at pics of French powered(?) tandems like the Derny? They might answer some tech questions for you.

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

10. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Member

11. sawdust

sawdust Member

checked out the pics and my bike is like one in the last pic..the pale blue one..I'm hoping to keep the motor towards the rear and not have such a long chain to the back. Tks for your comments guys and recommendations..I need all the help I can get.

12. sawdust

sawdust Member

checked out the pics and my bike is like one in the last pic..the pale blue one..I'm hoping to keep the motor towards the rear and not have such a long chain to the back. Tks for your comments guys and recommendations..I need all the help I can get.

13. sawdust

sawdust Member

Great pic Fabian..tks for posting.

14. sawdust

sawdust Member

pics of bike

Tks for all the comments and pics guys..I need all the help I can get.:cool: Took some more pics with the bike up on my bike work stand that I got out of the salvage yard and converted to work with the bike. Think I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the pics..had to make changes to my camera. Comments on the bike are welcomed.

Attached Files:

15. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Member

16. Max-M

Max-M Member

Tandem x 2!

I thought this would be a good thread in which to show this picture: My grandfather bought this 4-seater in about 1968. The picture shows my grandparents, and some of my siblings and cousins. That's me on the last seat.

A few years later when I was about 11-years-old, I would actually ride this beast by myself -- usually pretending it was a bus!

Motorizing this bicycle would probably require a Harley V-Twin!

None of us are sure whether it was custom built or factory made. And we don't know where the bike is today, unfortunately.

Attached Files:

17. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

That's an impressive push bike!

18. sawdust

sawdust Member

I'm going to be using a 4 stroke engine on this build. I ordered it from bike berry. great pics..tks for posting them

19. sawdust

sawdust Member

I sure did look at some of the pics of them..tks for letting me know about them..sure does give you some ideas that's for sure

20. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

Welcome to the form and I love My BikeBerry 4 stroke kit.