New to the forum and to Motorized Bicycles

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tanner7, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Tanner7

Tanner7 New Member

My friend has a gas guzzler and was going to buy one of those cheap gas scooters off Ebay. I told him to hold off and I would find something more reliable for him. Thats when this whole thing got my attention.
    I ordered a complete bike online for my friend. 2 stroke beach cruiser. Had a horrible experience with no communication, delayed shipping, etc.
    I had my friend pay the extra money to have it assembled and tested. (Mainly because he can barely tie his shoe let alone work on anything mechanical, and I didnt want to get stuck dealing with it) Long story a little longer, the bike came in a standard bike box with no packing materials at all. All kinds of parts bent and broken, rust in the gas tank, broken motor mount and on and on. I ended up pretty much taking the entire thing apart and putting it back together.
    Now I want one! I want to build one myself. So I need to find a really good motor kit. Preferably a 4 stroke unless I am advised otherwise. I live in California. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Hope to talk with you soon!

2. loquin

loquin Active Member

Welcome aboard!

If you're looking for 'out of the box' reliability, then I would suggest taking a look at a Honda or Robin-Subaru 4-stroke utility engine in a rack mount by Staton or GEBE. While you can get lucky with a clone engine, the quality control for the clone bike engines is really hit or miss. Then, when you thoss in the chintzy supporting hardware in a lot of the kits, you end up spending way too much time fixing the bike (or adding good hardware to get it more reliable.)