New trike with friction front drive

Discussion in 'Motorized Trikes' started by mlcorson, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

I found this trike at the junk yard for a ridiculous $20! Single speed back pedal braking and broken front caliper brake. The back tires and tubes were shot. I picked up a used set of 24" tires and tubes from Craigslist. I removed the front caliper brake and I installed the friction drive from BMP on the front wheel. The whole bike was very wobbly even without the motor. The frame is nothing but a square tube...I was surprised how it sort of twisted when i rode it. I cut up an old bike frame...from where else? The junk yard, and strengthened the frame by welding a top tube and several side supports. Its better but the weight on the front fork still is bit wobbly. The grandkids are going to help me decorate it and pull them in a parade in our town in May. I've enclosed pictures of the frame and a picture of the drive train. It seems with BMP's new jack shaft set up I could easily mount a sprocket on the left axle and convert this to rear mount chain drive. I'm thinking I could put a slot/keyway in the axle shaft and mount a sprocket. HAs anyone done this? Any problems with that plan? Would the bike pull over to the left when applying power to the motor? Since you'd only be driving the left wheel.

Attached Files:

2. professor

professor Active Member

Nice.
    I doubt the meager power of what we use will push the bike offset much at all.

3. keatonx

keatonx Member

I've done one wheel powered go carts, but only little ones with electric drill motors.

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

mlcorson, I like what you've done there so far, in stiffening the frame.

What you are describing is basically a split power application - pedal power driving only the right side half-axle at the rear, and gas power driving the left side half-axle when in use. Which is a workable, and actually fairly common, solution to the issue of applying gas-assist power to a delta trike. As I said, it is workable, and the control issues engendered by powering only one side are fairly easy to develop response habits to.

My question is, since you want to make the transition to a lower engine mounting site and apply power to the rear, why not go to a small additional effort, and bring the pedal and the power sides together at a mid-drive, and drive BOTH rear wheels either by pedal or by gas power? It is remarkably simple to do, and if you do it correctly you can add multiple gear capabilities in a most straight-forward fashion.

5. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Simple, yes I like the idea. So how's it done? Install a new axle shaft or couple the 2 axles and apply the sprocket to the coupler. Make sense? I'd like to see it...any pictures.
    -mlc

6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

7. ken murphy

ken murphy Member

Mine is wobbley to, I learned that trikes aren't supposed to go 25,on 1 of my next 1's is guna b a bigger trike that I already have and a pit bike 50cc w/tranny motor setup.
    guna try to mount the engine behind the seat post.

Attached Files:

8. slickdude

slickdude Member

Thanks for the article post mlcorson. I have a good condition old Columbia trike sitting in the garage and thought about going the bmp way as well with friction on the front tire. It is a two-speed model though the shifter often derails when pedaling.

9. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Trikes

I also had a pretty good wobble problem on my trike. I cured 90% of it by using a strut (brace) on either side of the bike from the seat down tube to the rear end. The thing wanted to flex and that was OK as just a bike. It makes it real unstable as a motorized. You can see the chrome strut I used in the pic. Before I regained my sanity and regeared it, I had it up to around 55mph. Of course, tall trikes are still unstable(Wants to flip) on corners. But it can be made stable enough for easy riding. Just slow way down for the turns.
    Big Red.

Attached Files:

10. At one point I wanted to motorize a Sun EZ-3 SX recumbent trike. I could have gotten a good deal on a used one, and at the time Staton made a kit for it. Now they only make a kit for the 3 times more expensive EZ-3 AX aluminum frame high end trike. Oh well.

11. slickdude

slickdude Member

I have been looking to see if a prebuilt kit is available for the Columbia Trike I have in the garage. Not a big engine mind you, a smaller one. If anyone knows if a kit for that is available and it's reasonable I'd go for it.

12. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Trikes

No real kit that I know of. But it can be set up. There are a few trike rear ends that you can buy that are not too hard to convert. Since you already have the trike set up, just use a collar on the axle to attatch a sprocket to and yer halfway there. I'll try to give you a pic of how I did it. You could even use a go ped engine and rear mount it. It's gonna be YOUR bike so build it YOUR way bro.
    Big Red.

Attached Files:

13. slickdude

slickdude Member

A collar on the axel?

14. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  15. slickdude

slickdude Member

16. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Trike

Ten mile limit at 15mph? Wouldn't you be through riding in about 45 or 50 minutes? If ya really wanna go somewhere it better be close, like to the store and back for a six-pack.
    I think you were on the right track with the front friction drive idea. You could pretty much hook up a weed whacker motor that way, and you would at least extend your range.
    I never have been a big fan of electric bikes. once yer out of power yer sitting around for at least a couple hours waiting for the thing to charge. A gas bike, 2 or 4 stroke, you just dump in more gas and go. But there are a lot of people that swear by elec. bikes. I'm just not one of them.
    All that said, it's up to you and you only bro. It's gonna be your bike so build it your way.
    Big Red.

17. slickdude

slickdude Member

Well I checked and the hub issues. Like nothing out there as a premade hub and gear and setup for a gasser on the trike. BTW, if you are willing, they do make a wheel hub that is an 800W and takes a large Lithium Ion which recharges they claim about two to three hours, has a 40 mile range from what I read. Just seems that to the local park and back this would be okay, about a 6 to 8 mile ride, some peddling too ;) The install time is about 4 minutes and that's it. Charge and then ready to go. Prices do vary though and the cost for the green is a lot more green. But still the easy install time and battery options can yield for local riding a nice tradeoff. My preference is a gasser probably 4 stroker small maybe 24 cc for a trike as it gets very unstable above 10 mph. If an existing easy to install hub kit and mount were available I would consider a rear engine with tank.

18. slickdude

slickdude Member

Ordered a Hilltopper 250 watt kit for trike. Decided because the 500 watt was overkill since trike have to travel slow for corners anyhow. Upon reading the hilltopper hub 250 watt was a brushless, I decided on the slower and closer to home option. Should install quickly once I get it. I'll make a youtube for you all to see it. By the way, powered trikes I priced out averaged between 1200 bucks to about 2500 bucks depending on styles and options, so this made sense. Since my riding habits are no more than about ten miles a day at most because of my handicap limitations especially walking and pedaling, this seemed best. I'll let you all know how it works out. BTW, I have considered getting a vintage stingray and adding a 500 watt kit to it. ;) the little kid in me still :p

19. slickdude

slickdude Member

UPDATE: Ordered the hilltopper and still ain't shipped several days later. I'll edit if it's okay this post reply to update as the adventure continues. Also I'll post pics or to youtube vids when the part arrives. The main patient is an older blue "Made In America" Columbia trike with 3 speed and basket. As mentioned, since it's a trike and also because it's mainly for short riding this lower cost electric option made the best sense. I am also considering maybe getting a sting ray with 20" wheels and electrifying that. Again depending on how Hilltopper treats as a customer. Since there are a number of manufacturers now making the front wheel hubs I can always go elsewhere ;)

20. slickdude

slickdude Member

Updated: 05-10-2012

I originally purchased the kit at the end of April. It is now 10 days into May and nothing but excuses and a non functional UPS number. The website I ordered from was this guy here Jim Welsh at http://www.electricbicycle-outdoor-store.com been getting all kinds of excuses but nothing yet. Told him I'll give him another week before enacting my refund. I probably should have gone through Amazon.com as I know it would have shipped asap and with few hassles or refund worries. If it does arrive then I'll assemble it and post some vids as well, which I was hoping to do as of last week.