New type engine...Front drive

Al.Fisherman

Local time
2:26 PM
Before I built my first motorized bicycle, I was searching for this kind of drive. I first saw these type of engines on bicycles while I was in Viet Nam in 1967. There weren't hundreds on the road, but in the 10's of thousands. Has anyone purchased this kit, if so I'd like a review on it. This just might be the next one I build.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50cc-motorized-...375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230f575e4f

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
just my opinion, ever drive one of the older front wheel drive cars? this is before gm and so forth got it all together. very bad handling.In fact dangerous. Do to the front wheel pulling and the extra weight on the front makes for really strange handling.

This is the first I've seen of it.

But I can make use of a bit of experience with the Solex. Like Ixlr8 said, front wheel drive on a bicycle takes some getting used to. And you really need to watch out when it's slippery.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it. That does look like a handy design, after all.

I used a Staton front friction drive w/Mitsubishi TLE 43 engine. It was VERY lopsided when walking the bike. As soon as power was applied, ya couldn't feel the bias.

JMO, if Staton had tucked the engine closer to the fork, it would've been better handling at a walk.

I rode a front wheel drive for a long time [ see my avatar ] & had no balance problems with it, except when stopped or trying to park the bike . The Solex bike was a winner design , but I don't know about the Chinese copy. Parts,, service after the sale,, etc., might scare me away.
By the way,, good used Solexes, in the U.S. are cheap to buy.

I ride a front drive DH MTB with a huge 2.5hp Lifan 4 stroke & it handles better than my rear drive MB (& goes 50 mph).
I have done extensive testing & swapping engines from front to rear & back and forth to be able to come up with the best setups for each of my MB's. As long as the engine is mounted as close to the headtube as possible (close to the centerline of the axle) it handles great.
Think about it...engine 10-30lbs, your butt 150-250 lbs sitting closer to the rear axle than the front axle?
-Lowracer-

This is not a review of the kit.
This is a review of the crooked Vendor

Save your sanity.
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH BOYGOFAST. HE IS A CROOK.
That is a Chinese copy of a very nice solex frontwheel drive system.
They reach about 20 mph.
NO WARANTY . But what can you expect from boygofast.

If you can afford to throw to Two hundred dollars away. Go for it.

I would use thatsdax BMP staton If you want frontwheel drive or just find a good used one.

Last edited:
From what I understand...have not verify it yet..both "luckyearlybird" and "boygofast" are husband and wife. If so don't worry about me buying from him. When I had a DOA CDI, she so much as told me to ... well you fill in the rest.
If BGF is NOT related to "luckyearlybird" I'd like to hear from him. I know that they monitor what goes on here.

Save your sanity.
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH BOYGOFAST. HE IS A CROOK.

Is that what you call "two peas in a pod"?

Last edited:
Back