New vs old HT gas petcock

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mountain80, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mountain80

mountain80 Member

Just wondering, i saw 2 different kinds of petcocks, the new cast metal and the older style brass valve. My mtb fell over and broke the lever so I ended up using a hacksaw and cutting a slit in it and i keep a filed penny on my key ring to shut it off. I kind of liked the looks of the brass valve style, is it reliable and sturdy more so than the new style, any opinions are appreciated as Im shopping for a new one soon.

Cheers

2. Rain City

Rain City Member

The brass one has never failed me after tightening it properly, I ordered it from livefastmotors. The guy on the phone is super nice, he didn't even have me do a credit card transaction, just asked that I send in a few dollars in the mail. Pretty cool. :evil:

3. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

That brass petcock looks better quality than the cast valve I was supplied with. However, I use a Honda engine with a built in fuel valve. The petcock is now the valve for my oil drain. Since it will only be used raely with oil changes, I'll keep it.

4. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

There are higher quality alternatives out there without breaking the piggy bank:

Attached Files:

5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I've seen that somewhere...let me think.... :p

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

that looks like it's made from stainless - nice

we know that cast is not the best - break pretty easy

brass - been around a long time - hold up well - not as strong as stainless

Ride That Thing - Mountainman