new Whizzer exhaust to manifold seal

jroyse

Local time
9:12 AM
Ok whats the trick here to get a fit and seal from pipe to manifold? There's some kind of soft metal sleeve thing in there but the pipe doesn't fit well, very loose. If I tighten the set screw in the manifold it just pokes its way thru the soft metal and does nothing. There must be a better way to do this.
Just another fix I need to make on this $200 craigslist bike. Oh no, the list may be endless.

$200.00 OHHH MY GOTCH, let's see fork at $300.00+, frame at $200.00+,and there is still the wheels, oh, THE MOTOR. you better stop going on craiglist. there's no deals there! Back to your queston about the exhaust elbow and pipe, that's all you need.Fit all your pieces together,then find the spot where the set screw fits snug with exhuast elbow and pipe, then grind a small area on the pipe where the set screw will go. That should take care of that.

Attachments

• DSCN2686.jpg
    DSCN2686.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 385
I FIXED IT, I FIXED IT!! With the advice from mason man and Gary K I finally got it to work. Had to grind the heck out of that stupid soft metal thing in there to get the pipe into the manifold far enough get the set screw in the right place. Probably don't need the soft metal thing but used it anyway. Also used a second set screw for a good lock.
Now for the carburetor. Hmmm.

jroyse take a look in the tank too, make sure there is nothing blocking the screen to the gas tank shut off valve.

Hi Jroyse.

Sadly the set screw will work loose anyway.

Best to replace set screw with a longer 6 MM bolt or allen screw. The screw needs to extend past the threads so you can place a 6 MM nut on the part extended past the manifold. After the screw is tightened you use the additional nut to hold it in place [like a jam nut].

This process locks the screw in place and stops it from un-screwing.

Have fun,

Back