Newb from Elgin, IL

ihatemybike

Local time
9:41 AM
I blame GasSavers.org, my love for bicycles, and an 18 mile commute to work for my stumbling upon and joining this site.

I've been BMX and MTB stunt riding for 20 years now and everyone of my bikes is build to take a beating. This includes my work commuter, as I pass two skateparks on the way home.

My idea is to take one of my spare stunt MTBs, add an in frame engine, and end up with something like a FX Bikes Mountain Moto. I want to be able to commute to work, scout trails for off-roading the wife's Jeep, and playing around in general.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 70cc 2 stroke from thatsdax.com then upgrading the carb, pipe, rear sprocket, and finding a slightly larger gas tank.

Welcome aboard, Aaron. Use the search feature and take a look at some of the posts made by Warren. He's from your neck of the woods as well... and actually I don't know if you were aware of it, but motorized bikes are illegal to use in your town.

Yeah it's pretty bogus. I don't understand why Elgin acted to make the laws stricter than the state level laws. It's actually pretty absurd, because they can't expect people who are passing through to know what the ordinance is.

Hello,
I also read Warren's thread about the law in Elgin. I'm in Aurora and I searched the ordinances here. I couldn't find anything about motorized bicycles being illegal.

I'm with you though. I want to make my motor as quiet and stealth as possible. I just ordered a CH80 engine kit from Chris Hill up in Ontario. I might make my own fuel tank that fits along the top tube somehow. Kind of like the one in the pic.

Anyway, welcome! I'm a newbie too, but let me know if you need help with anything. I'm not too far away from you.
Carl

Attachments

• 169909P9280252.jpg
    169909P9280252.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Back