Clutch Newbie fixing a clutch.

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Clutch removal/

"I'd use a pneumatic air impact wrench to spin the bolt out to take it apart.
Possibly LH thread???" BAD MOVE.

Here is the tool if you don't have one.....
http://www.bikeberry.com/sprocket-removal-tool.html

That tool is of no use with getting out the bolt in question here. Think about it. The bolt head is hexagon, the tool is round. I just looked at a brand new engine with the centrifugal clutch kit on my work bench. If the one in question here is the same as mine, and the photo looks like mine, the gear removal tool is of no value. Impact wrench should do it.

Last edited:
Here are 2 fresh photos of a centrifugal clutch. You may have to remove the spring holding it all together to get the pin reinserted. And yes, they are inserted from the back side and are "peened" or whatever you call it on the back side only. Strange how your's came out.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 169
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Direction?

Perfect shots, and yes- looks exactly like mine. To loosen, is the direction clockwise or counter-clockwise? thanks

That tool is of no use with getting out the bolt in question here. Think about it. The bolt head is hexagon, the tool is round. I just looked at a brand new engine with the centrifugal clutch kit on my work bench. If the one in question here is the same as mine, and the photo looks like mine, the gear removal tool is of no value. Impact wrench should do it.

Removal of the hex head bolt was covered,,Due to the ****..py stock material, I'd go against a impact.. It's easy enough with a wrench or socket. Wedge the gears.

Photos 37 to 47
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...20HT%20breakdown/?action=view&current=37a.jpg

Last edited:
Now this clutch doesn't look like mine, (although they all work the same, and seem to be coming from the same place- China)

Now this clutch doesn't look like mine, (although they all work the same, and seem to be coming from the same place- China)

Yes they come from China, but they don't work the same...
You have a mechanical clutch that has to be controlled either by linkage or hydraulic. This is what you find in manual shift cars (3 speed or 4 speed etc). The other is a centrifugal clutch that operates on the RPM of the engine..works similar to that in the automatic transmissions of today's cars. In the end they all provide torque to the rear wheel.

Last edited:
Perfect shots, and yes- looks exactly like mine. To loosen, is the direction clockwise or counter-clockwise? thanks
Standard right hand thread. Counter clockwise to loosen it. Where you have a hex head bolt, mine is just a round head that takes a flat blade screwdriver. There are several other little parts involved in that clutch assembly that you don't, and won't see until you get it apart. They will fall out and get lost if you're not careful. Let me know if you are familiar or not with the assembly. If not, I'll try to get photos and post them after while. Again, the clutch photos I posted last night were taken last night. I have a brand new engine and centrifugal clutch assembly sitting on my work bench. Easy for me to get photos. Just trying to help !

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not yet seen that exact unit yet... what motor is that that has a centrifugal clutch? I'd like to learn a little more abt them.
rc

Thanks again, working on the house has jumped into priority for right now, but no I am not really too familiar with the engines. I just have been figuring it all out as I go along.

I have not yet seen that exact unit yet... what motor is that that has a centrifugal clutch? I'd like to learn a little more abt them.
rc
Not sure I understand what you're asking here, but I think the answer to your question is, as far as I know all the frame mount China 2 strokes come with a manual clutch. The centrifugal clutch is an add on option/conversion. About $30.00 worth.

Back