Newbie from Anaheim, CA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mini-pub, Nov 13, 2007.

1. mini-pub

mini-pub Guest

Ok, I just read the new member letter so I guess I need to introduce myself before I jump in asking questions. I live in "The Colony" of Anaheim. It is the historic district of Anaheim near downtown. I live in a 1921 bungalow on Broadway. It is a historical home, so it has a little history to it.
    I love vintage stuff so old bikes kinda turn me on. A friend told me about Derringer bikes,(, But they want $3500 for them and are built more for cafe racing. I started researching motorized bikes and ran across your forum as well as and

Here is what I would like to do. I own a Felt cruiser, the MP, and I have customized it and love riding around town. I added a Nexus 3-speed internal hub and connected it to an old school 3-speed shifter mounted to the side of the front tank. I don't want to change anything about it. What I plan to do is buy another Felt cruiser, possibly the 1903 or the Chief (,1519), and put a motor in it. I have been doing some searching on your forum and it seems the Nexus hubs can take the pressure of an engine as long as you don't speed shift.

Since I am just starting my venture, any advice you guys can give would be considered. Although, I tend to listen to advice and if anybody ever tells me it can't be done, I tend to go for it anyways. I was told the old school 3-speed shifter wouldn't work with the Nexus hubs, by someone who said he tried it, and I got mine to work just fine.

Some obvious questions I have so far are:
    1) What issues will I have with the thickness of the nexus hubs, and the rear mounting sprockets that come with the engine kits. Any other issues with Shimano Nexus 3-speed hubs?
    2) Is there a difference between using a steel frame bike and an aluminum frame?
    3)Any real differences between 50cc,55cc,65cc,70cc engines? What about reliability? I don't want a lot of noise.
    4) Pros and Cons of 2-stroke and 4-stroke?

Thanks guys, James

BTW, anybody from around my town? I've got a pub in my basement if anybody wants to take a trip to Anaheim. Thursday nights are movie nights in the Basement Pub. 7:30-midnight

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D
    read, read, read
    all your questions will be answered
  3. mini-pub

mini-pub Guest

Thanks! I will be doing a lot of searches on those questions I have.
  4. drimpact

drimpact Member

Welcome to MBc
  5. ocscully

ocscully Member

Motorizing Felt's

If you haven't already do a search for Felt and you should come up with several long threads about motorizing Felt bicycles. Member itskeith has posted a link to some photos of his Felt MP project, and here is a link to a photo page showing a Felt 1903 I saw at the Long Beach Motorcycle Swap meet this past Memorial day weekend.

6. mini-pub

mini-pub Guest

OMG, Dude, thanks for posting that. Part of me is excited to see the 1903 with a motor, and the other part of me is dissappointed that someone already did it!!!
  7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc.
  8. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!