Newbie from NC

lgboro

Local time
12:20 PM
Just purchased a 1 person Rhodes Car and intend to motorize as soon as funds allow. Used unit I found on Craigs List that so far seems to be in decent mechanical condition. This will be my first bike build I have built a couple of Teardrop campers in the last few years. I have some skills that should transfer to bike building and have been very willing to develop the knowledge and skills to complete past projects as needed. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I get into my future build and hope I will be a positive addition to MB forums.

Glad to have you with us. There's 3 building philosophies:

1) Spend the money for a quality kit from the start. $600+

2) Buy a cheap kit then spend the money to upgrade and rebuild it.

3) Buy a cheap kit ride it till it blows then replace it with another cheap kit.

I am looking at a Honda 4 stroke as soon as I raise the capital. On my camper builds I used the best materials I could find or at the very least the best I could afford. I have been known to fabricate or salvage which sometimes makes a better part or one that fits my needs better. Can't wait to get into the actual build.

Welcome aboard.

Being willing to tinker is a must in this hobby. And it sounds like you've already got that.

You ought to do all right.

I'm down right now due to double lower hernia surgery. I should be able to ride again after the first of the year. I'm going to be upgrading my engine size on my LandRider. I got a Honda GXH 50 off eBay. That's the only way I could afford one. I'll be putting my Robin Subaru EHO 35 on a Columbia mountain bike. It'll use a shift kit also but unlike the LandRider won't shift gears automatically. I'm making a second bike so friends and family can ride with me. I'll be using Staton Inc products for my second bike as well.

There's lots of really good non-kit builders on here who can give you some really good advice. As for the engine like I said try eBay or Craigslist. About the cheapest place for a new engine is the Small Engine Warehouse.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/?gclid=CID07v7mgrsCFSEV7AodvmkArw

cheack you local and state laws as to what they define a motorized bicycle as... some are only 2 or 3 wheels soon as you add the fourth it becomes a car

Yes NC even has inspections on 4 or more wheel vehicles. You'd have to build according to NC moped requirements in order to be legal. A motorized quad can only be used on private property. The closest thing you could come to a quad for the public streets is a tadpole trike.

Yes NC even has inspections on 4 or more wheel vehicles. You'd have to build according to NC moped requirements in order to be legal. A motorized quad can only be used on private property. The closest thing you could come to a quad for the public streets is a tadpole trike.

again you put your foot in your mouth... there are MANY delta recumbent trikes and and MANY trikes that have a regular upright seats that meet the legal 3 wheel clause!!!'
goblin_1_ldn8C_69.jpg
2651.jpg
here is some more... for a guy that bought a stanton KIT you really are not really up tp speed on what he sells are you??

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/cat...e_Quad_Gear_Chain_Enigne_Motor_Kits-28-2.html

again you put your foot in your mouth... there are MANY delta recumbent trikes and and MANY trikes that have a regular upright seats that meet the legal 3 wheel clause!!!'
View attachment 51043
View attachment 51044
here is some more... for a guy that bought a stanton KIT you really are not really up tp speed on what he sells are you??

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/cat...e_Quad_Gear_Chain_Enigne_Motor_Kits-28-2.html

First of all I didn't put my foot in my mouth. North Carolina says a moped can have two or three wheels in contact with the ground. What I ment was if the OP wanted two wheels up front then he'd need a tadpole trike in order to be street legal.

I'm very familiar with what Staton sells. What I don't understand is why are you so dead set on trying to make others look bad? Take some anger management classes or something. If someone has given out bad information either PM them or at least in a nice way tell them why you believe they're wrong.

Last edited:

cant even read what you posted??... a TADPOLE has 2 wheels in the front and ONE in the rear

Emotorized TADPOLE
outrider 422 alpha in basalt grey.jpg

Last edited:
Back