Newbie from Portland, Oregon. Need Help!!!!

leo_bialystock

Local time
12:46 AM
I have a 26" Huffy Cranbrook Men's Bike Cruiser, Midnight Blue. Is there anyone from Portland, OR that can help me motorize my bike?

I know absolutely nothing about bikes, motors, mechanics, or engineering. I just love to ride. I don't know which motor kit to buy and which parts are best. I know that additional parts and installation are needed to minimize vibrations. I'm afraid I could break it if I try the install since it is a cheap Wally World bike (it was a Black Friday deal).

Thank you!

I am also located in Portland and have a Cranbrook.

I would suggest you hop on youtube and watch some general installation videos. They are pretty good about going step by step through the process.
As far as which engine to buy, just do some research. You will find the information you need within these forums.

Its nothing special so far, but here is my Cranbrook build.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?45464-Cranbrook-Build-1&p=395837#post395837

Hi Philllthy!

Thanks for the reply. I like the build of your Cranbrook. I've also read that the Cranbrook rear hub needs to be replaced and the fenders removed.

What do you think of this engine kit: http://bekits.com/ I found it through the instructional videos on youtube. He goes over them and balances the crank, and also puts upgraded hex key bolts in. Do you think I should add any of the upgrades from the standard stock kit?

Is there a different engine you recommend?

You will have to do some of your own research.

I am not sure as to the best kit. I bought mine through www.Bikeberry.com ... well actually their amazon store, but just the same.

What part of Portland are you in?

HOw is it possible that bekits.com can import these engines , disassemble them, put the crank on some kind of machine, balance the crank, reassemble the engine and then sell it for under $200....I don't think this is possible and I think its a scam....tell me I'm wrong ...

I'm in inner SE Portland, the buckman neighborhood, on the corner of 18th and Stark.

I will try my best install watching youtube videos, but I'd really appreciate it if we could meet up and you could double check my work :) I'm not lazy, I've just never been Mr. Fix it. I was thinking of volunteering for Bikes for Humanity PDX so I could take classes and learn about fixing bikes. Right now I know absolutely nothing.

I thought it was too good to be true too, Doug. Does anybody have an engine kit from bekits.com?
People I talked too were happy with them. But who knows!

Yeah I am always down to meet up! im located on 60th and division. You can PM me for contact info, or if you want to check out the few that I have built.

Back