Newbie from Wales (one last try at this)

FurryOnTheInside

In Memoriam
Local time
8:29 AM
Hi everyone! I'm totally new to motored cycling. Just found the MB forum a few days ago and have been reading lots and lots and learned so much already! I have a sore wrist from scrolling for hours lol but there's just so much to learn and so much information here from all the helpful forum users.. not to mention all the pics of your truly awesome rides! :)

Okay so a few things about me: I've been riding and building bicycles for many many years, but never been a car driver or used motors of any sort, except when I had a motorscooter type toy vehicle for a week, until it broke my shoulder (4" front wheel rim was too small to roll to a stop with a puncture so I did the air-to-ground-missile thing)

I used to ride 20" freestyle, mountainbikes (downhill, freestyle jumping, etc), and more recently road-going 26"-wheel bikes. I've had knee problems from my BMX days though, which is making it harder for me to cover distances that I need to; plus I tend to carry "quite a lot" of cargo on longer journeys which makes the going rather hard and increases the amount of cargo I need (to stay out longer I end up with exponentially increasing water/food requirements). I travel on the coastal cycle paths and mountain back roads of Wales so it makes sense for me to look into motorising my bicycle now as well as towing a trailer for cargo capacity.

The motor I'm interested in is the 69.7cc "Evo4GT" offered by Transformercycles in the UK. I need to figure out exactly where to post to ask if anyone else here has had experience with this company or any experience with there "latest" all black motor... not sure where to put that yet. I need to know if they really do honour their extended warranty or whether they blame "user error" as standard response and I should keep that extra money for spares! I'm going to try to find other MBers from the UK too if I can figure that out.
I'd like to upgrade the setup in the near future with a Sick Bike Parts shift kit if possible too, stealthy rear rack mounted fuel tank, and any other upgrades or mods that are nessesary.

Anyway my current bicycle I have a rear pannier rack for heavy stuff (food and water mostly), I've added a front lowrider rack since the pic so I can carry fleece tops etc on there, and I'm planning to get an Extrawheel 26" single wheel trailer too so I won't have to carry all my camping, fishing and snorkelling equipment on the bicycle itself. It's a Carrera 'Subway 2' 26" wheel roadgoing mountainbike with a 20" (BB to toptube) alloy frame, 2" diameter downtube, proper 1&1/8" headset, cable operated disk brakes, and a so-called suspension seatpost.
Looking at others' bikes on the forum it seems ideal for converting to motor-assisted cycling. *excited*
attachment.php

Sorry this has been a bit of an overly long post for this part of the forum and for all the missing ??..?? words lol only took me about 20.. now 30 attempts to post. :sick: phew. Thanks for reading it all! :D

Attachments

• DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry about the spam word blacklist but it's necessary to stop all the spam bots from posting on here. You will be ok now to post all the words that you like. You can put your words back into your post and it should be fine. If not just PM me and I can update the post for you so that we can read your intro with all the words!

Thanks for the welcome Anton. Sorry for messing up the recent posts bit yesterday, I just had a nightmare trying to find the blocked word.. which turned out to be something completely innocent but took hours (between giving up in frustration and learning about clutches for several hours instead) to find the word.. there's already so many double-entendres in bicycling and then adding motor terms to it as well I would never have guessed the banned word was "trips". :rolleyes: I felt like deliberately posting double entendre laden replies to vent after that lol :sick: managed to restrain myself though, lol. Really haven't figured out PMing yet otherwise I would've PMed you yesterday lol.. oh well it's all better now. :) Just hope I can find some MBers who know about these motor kits that are available in UK. :)

Based on my experience of riding on the hills, if I was you would invest in a 4 stroke engine kit..it has alot more torque than a two stroke engine. You will find that you won't have to pedal to help out the engine. My wife and I rode at the bike rally in Lebanon Pa and the other riders where amazed that even on the steepest hills, we didn't have to pedal our tandem once.

I see what you're saying and thanks for responding. There's little in the way of kits with 4-stroke motors, or kits without the actual motors readily available in the UK unfortunately. A 4-stroke could be an upgrade perhaps, but then I'd need to upgrade my shift kit too as I won't know if the 2-stroke is adequate until after I have tried it with at least 8 gears. Did the 2-strokers at the rally have a shiftkit to use their conventional bicycle gears?

as far as the other bikes having a shiftkit...Jay who organized the rally would be the one to answer you questions about that..he really knows his way around these builds. I posted pics on this site of alot of the bikes at the rally..check them out..some really great bikes that took alot of talent to build.

Back