Newbie, here to learn!

ElGordo67

Local time
5:31 AM
Elgordo67 here in Columbus, Ohio. I am going to build a fat tire bike with a gas motor. YAY! I ordered the bike, and plan on this being a project over this winter. I am pretty stoked about this and ready to dig in and learn., This is the bike, a Mongoose Dolomite 7 speed, Uh -OH, I already see a motor clearance problem!
Mongose Dolomite 7 speed.jpg

Welcome aboard.

You'll have fun.

I've considered a motorized fat bike. But I've wondered if engine chain clearing the tire and the chainstay and seatstay would be a problem.

When you build your bike, giving us some good photos of that area from multiple angles would be appreciated.

But if it can be done, then that'd be a fine winter bike.

I am in the process of motorizing a mongoose beast, It is the single speed version of the dolomite. It can be done. TOMTRULY has a pretty nice setup for the single speed. Check out some of his posts. I am modifying my frame to get the motor to sit where I want it, but it isn't necessary. I would have went with the dolomite myself, if I would have known about it. The dual disc brakes are a much better setup than the coaster brake that I will have to deal with. You will need some kind of jackshaft to offset your drive chain, my offset is 1 1/2" to line up with left side sprocket. You should consider a shift kit to drive right side cassette. Your frame is very tight, and it will be challenging. You also might consider different frame options. KCVALE has done a nice bike using a sunchaser frame. I will be glad to assist in anyway that I can... GOODLUCK

I might also mention I have several years experience welding and fabricating and access to CNC and laser cutters/machine tools. I would really like to use the HF 6.5 horse Predator and a rack mounted tank. I Appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to this site, the people, and this project. THANKS!

a predator 212 isn't going to fit in there without essentially cutting the frame completely apart and rebuilding it entirely. Dolomites are tight with any engine, all the way down to the 48cc 2 strokes. You'll probably need to adjust the seat tube length, top tube height and angle, make a curved downtube, and possibly have to change the head tube angle. You say you've got fabrication skills and that's all well and good, but how much experience do you have with bicycle frame geometry?

I'm not trying to discourage you, if your vision is anything like mine that's going to be a killer bike. I'm just saying you should check up on what effects different geometry changes have before you end up with a fast bike that handles like junk.

Butre, I don't know a thing about bicycle geometry, except for some terminology, like rake, whee base, sweep, over/under corrected steering and some personal preferences about riding posture. If you have any reference sites, i would appreciate. Perhaps we could implant the middle portion of an old schwin cruiser to allow room for a motor. The forks and rear triangle are important because of the fat tires, or we could just use one of those sun crushers I saw in Kcvales postings. I like fenders and want to try those too.

Greeting Gordo,

I would highly recommend using the search on this Forum - AMAZING Info there.

Looking at the shot that MBP sent, the motor is offset to allow for chain clearance on the wheel. Ran into a minor issue with the frame I had with just 2.125's. Really curious about how far that is off center and potential problems with peddling to start? :-/

Gobisox

Back