Newbie in the Great White North

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Blue Coupe, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe Guest

Greetings,

I have been lurking around this forum for a bit and I must say it has excellent tech. I'm new to motorized bicycles and it appears that there are lots of choices out there.

I live in Calgary, Alberta and I cycle all year around. Top speed really is not a factor, moreover off the line power to help navigate through the snow when the going gets tough (I suspect gearing will be a challenge).

These are my initial thoughts...(I realize there are appropriate locations in the forum to post the variety of ideas I have).

I'll be starting the engine at around -5 C and running around -10C to-25C for the winter months.

Electric - too heavy, poor range (especially with higher loads through snow and the cold).
    Friction drive (tire drive) - in snow, unlikely it will work well.
    Chain or ribbed belt - probably the best choice
    Engine Noise - the quieter the better
    Smoke - as little as possible
    Mounting - I like the idea of a rack mount, one of the pocket bike builds on this forum is awesome! I wonder how loud it is?
    Budget-middle of the road

I also need to consider to keep things low key, I do not want to annoy people on the bike paths regardless if it is legal or not (I have checked local laws).

Looking forward to learning more!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

Hi Blue, great to meet ya and welcome!

3. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Hello and welcome Coupe! Gatta admire riding through the winter up there.
    Doc

4. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

hey coupe! my brother lives calgary! it sounds like your headed in the right direction! & welcome to the forum! your gonna love it here1

5. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Welcome to MBc

6. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Welcome to MBc

7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc.

8. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome

9. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Welcome to the group!

10. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D

11. drimpact

drimpact Member

Welcome to the group

12. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Welcome :)

You sound like you have a bit of challenge on your hands... you dont say but I assume you will be taking the bike off-road?

toothed belt would indeed seem the best way to go as it would be the quietest (no chain noise) and a fairly acceptable range of engines..

considering that you are running in those temperatures you might need to increase the % of oil slightly - in my case I store the bike in the flat so its always around 20c ambient temperature - but the engines are usually pretty good for starting..

With the fact that you need a lot of torque that could present problems with a belt drive as you have a more limited number of ratio options - but GEBE do a set of gears for their engines from highway - trail gears. The latter would probably more suitable...

Its possible that you could get an mount only kit from Golden Eagle (GEBE) and fit your own engine, but what you would be looking for is a engine with alot of power and torque produced at lower revs... a 14000rpm engine producing 4hp will be alot less use than a larger capacity 4hp running at 8000rpm

Jemma xx

13. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe Guest

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I don't intend to ride off road in the winter. Larger snow falls where the snow is not packed is the main issue. Side road intersections can bring my bike to a grinding halt in quick order. Throw in the wind when it's cold can make things really interesting.

Thanks for the oil tip!
    I have heard of the Gebe boxes, I don't really know too much about them. I assume they will work with either a frame mount engine or rear rack mount. As for engines I'm thinking something like a GX35 or GX50, I hear that they are a similar size.

14. beast775

beast775 Guest

welcome

howdy next province over neighbour!:smile:

15. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Welcome to the tribe from the Giant Side of Texas!

16. Proboscis

Proboscis Guest

Hey, I'm from Calgary too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008