Newbie looking for ID & Info

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by planb, Mar 1, 2010.

1. planb

planb New Member

I'm a new member who recently acquired my first motored bike - and an seeking any info on the brand/model/year/ etc.

As you can see this is a bit outside the 'norm'. It's running a 3hp Clinton vertical shaft engine of 50's? vintage, on a Schwinn Spitfire bike of similar vintage.

I plan to do a sympathetic restoration (everything's there - it runs) maintaining the original everything and a bit of patina.

I'm in Chicago. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

WOW ! I never have seen one like that !! I would get it going, too.
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

WOW is right!!!

I saw this post last night, but got lost here again.... looking for anything similar.

I would like to see more pics of your Clinton/Schwinn. Like how the belt is routed from the engine to the 'mid drive'.

This bike is a very cool find... someone, somewhere will surely have some info.
  4. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I'm with srdavo on that. We'd like to see more photos of this interesting bike. I've never seen one before, and I'm wondering how many might have been made. I'm sure it's a rare piece.
  5. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

7. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Yep, that's a Clinton & a lot of those are still around. There are different websites/groups, online, where you can find any parts needed. Like Srdavo, I am trying to figure out how the routing was done on the belt. Horizontal engines are by far easier to adapt to a bike, & Clinton made some good ones as well.
  8. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

If you have the patten number, there are ways to look up that drivetrain also.
  9. Snake Bite

Snake Bite Member

I'd Like to see the other side of this very fun Contraption
  10. augidog

augidog Banned're costing me minutes ;)

turn it the other way already...

we're all on the phone trying to guess where the belt goes from "there"...whatever "that" is :jester:
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  11. beast775

beast775 Guest

baited breath

im really interested to see close ups.hope ya got some.:eek:
  12. planb

planb New Member

I have the bike at a weekend cottage I have in Indiana. Won't be back there for a week or so. Will shoot some addt'l photos then. Interestingly, I pulled the motor last Friday — and found an Indiana state VIN (actually in this case an 'MVIN' plate (4 digits) — apparently assigned to this bike. It came with a 1963 Indiana motorcycle size license plate attached to the rear fender as well.
  13. planb

planb New Member

Wow! Thanks! Great resource.
  14. dbw

dbw New Member

i'm thinking corvair fan the motor doesn't seem to turn with the handlebars , just a 90 degree twist to a pulley on the other side....
  15. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

16. augidog

augidog Banned

that's my "vote" too :cool2: