NEWBIE to forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Esteban, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I am a NEWBIE to this forum & love to read the information about different engines on bikes. I have an Orline front friction drive on a 12 spd Schwinn bike. It runs & moves me [ 170 lbs ] & the bike pretty well. It is the same motor as Ohllson & Rice/Chicken Power . I live in Florida & the terrain here is mostly flat, making a friction wheel drive more ideal & much simpler, in my opinion.

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

welcome to MBc, Esteban :)

seeing as how i spent several years pedaling a diamondback "outlook" in palm beach county, i can agree that a friction drive would get you around most finely 8)

personally, i'm not familiar with your setup/engine...i'd like to know more, got pics for our gallery?

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Welcome to the forum. I have never really heard much about friction drive, most of the members here have the chain drive and some have belt drive. Only a handful have friction drive. Do you have to have special tires?

4. etheric

etheric Guest

welcome.

5. Heath

Heath Guest

welcome!

6. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

7. Wheels

Wheels Guest

welcome! look forward to hearing your stories.

wheels

8. etheric

etheric Guest

oooohh. six "welcome's" in a row....we're getting good.

9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Thanks for all the welcomes ! I posted a couple of pictures in the gallery of my ride. Ohllson & Rice topic. Take a look !
    Motor runs pretty well. These were made in late 60' early 70's & put on bike kits, chainsaws, tiny generators, & more. Has a disengage lever & a clutch. Just pull start it, allow to warm up a bit, engage lever, & throttle up. It idles well when stopped & will even pull a rider off from a standstill. Top speed is maybe 16-20 on flat roads, & it is just as easy as a bike to pedal when not engaged.

10. try1897

try1897 Guest

Hi and welcome, My first motorized was a Sears Free Spirit friction drive on the front wheel with a on/off lever as a clutch. It would pull me along at 20 or so. It was alot of fun and turned alot of heads riding around town. It was from the early 60 if I recall . There are several different brands based on the same disign . Happy motoring Tom in WV

11. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I am very familiar with those Free Spirits, etc. I recently bought 2 new ones in their original boxes, & resold them. I like the way mine works much better, though. Very hard to beat the simplicity of a friction drive, if you live in an area with few hills, & the rider isn't very heavy.

12. try1897

try1897 Guest

Hi Again, Actually I weighed about 230lbs. at the time and found that it didn't do too bad. Your right about the hills I hadd to help the engine quite a bit but all in all it ran OK. I did do some experiments with different drive wheels. The original one was quite worn so I made my own out of different things including small scotter wheels etc. I was essentially changing gear ratios with different diameters. It was alot of fun . I sold the bike for a 100 dollar bill at a bluegrass festival to a guy that just had to have it. And at the time I really needed rent money so ..... That happens to alot of my stuff............... Tom in WV

13. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

I have a tanaka/sears free spirit on one of my bikes but it needs a new fuel pump. There is a guy who sells the info needed to fix for $25 but I don't have the spare change right now. I have been thinking of trying a different carb with a float bowl and a gravity feed fuel tank. Try1897 do you have any info about fixing fuel pumps on these engines. It is a little assembly with diaphrams that seem to run off vacuum pulses off the engine. I have the original book from sears but it doesnt give any solutions other than buying a new pump which as far as I know aren't available anymore. I got this engine from a man who made his own mounts and used it as a rear wheel drive motor.