newbie with few questions

oldpot

Local time
1:21 PM
Hi
hope this is the right section
I been a lurker in these forums for a while reading and taking it all in, now I ready for a few questions
hope to sort a motorized bike out in next 2-4 months ready for summer,something that get me 10 mile radius of my apt,
first of all I got A Cypress EX with Shimano’s Nexus internal drivetrain,7 speed bike i am not sure from what
i read you cannot use them type of bikes ,

i been thinking about getting a huffy cruiser bike to do my first build.i got an old huffy cruiser m8 gave me but it needs
new seat/chain/tire/back wheel relined and few other things (about 70 to get it ship shape i can get new huffy for 20 more)this
old huffy got front and back brake can i use the front one for or if i get new huffy?.

now talking about kits i am a novice with motorized bikes I see from here there's ,
1 eBay bikes for 120-150 2 stroke with shipping
2 website shops from 200 -plus 2 stroke with shipping , ok again what i read is a lot of ebay and shops use roughly the same kits and
even if you get one from a web shop you still want to upgrade some stuff ( nuts bolts chain for starters) i was thinking about getting
a ebay kit seen as you save 60-70 then change the nuts bolts etc and few other
things with the money save (good or bad idea??)or wherever you get it from its luck of the draw.

or any more details i need to know i would want to know .

Last edited:
A Huffy Cruiser frame or a Schwinn Cruiser would be a good start as far as bikes go, but remember, going with a kit just because it is cheap is not always a good idea. Remember, you get what you pay for. Be sure to do your research before you make your purchase.

ty for your input, i looking at a huffy cranbrook but i been reading that You will need a special front mount. No cruiser will fit the stock mounts is that true , if so what would i need , and where can i get a set of all better bolts and nuts etc , ty again , i just want to get everything in my head what i need before i buy them .

My advice: Your first build should be on an old bike. I bought a new Schwinn and a motor kit. UPS delivered them both on the same day. Man o man that bike looked nice. By the time I mounted and re-mounted that motor multiple times, and battled everything else, the bike didn't look so new anymore. The bike still doesn't have a single mile on it, and it looks ten years old.

Besides that, my old bike was just more comfortable to ride, so I'm not even thrilled with the bike as a bike.

Just 2 cents worth of opinion. If there's a free bike you can use, use it. Then re-mount everything to a new bike when you really know what you're doing.

ty jefuchs
well i could use the old bike to try the new kit and then when satisfied move it to new bike but what about the front mount will i need a bigger one??.

so it does not matter where i get the kit from a $130 kit or $230 kit with shipping( 100 less you can change a lot of things for that saving or is the engine and parts better on a dearer kit?) i will have to get better quality mount bolts and what else, would be best to upgrade parts before i start putting kit on bike ??as i looked at a few placers to buy kits and they all look similar ones , and if you going to changed a few things would cheaper kit be ok ?? or stick with the more expensive kits .

Last edited:
Personaly, I think go with a slightly more expencive but well made kit. You you are talking about replacing parts on a cheap kit that you don't even have yet. If you're having to replace parts on a cheap kid you haven't even bought yet, maybe just save up some money and get something a little more well made. Since you are inexperienced I would suggest a 4 stroke engine kit. They require less maintanece and hold up much better than most 2strokes. Just my opinion. Also what do you want out of your bike? Speed? Climbing hills? Pulling trailors?

hi ezmjon
what i been reading is many people who buy kits ebay or sponsors shops on here have said they change alot of things eg,the nuts and bolts for better ones plug , chain tentioner chain etc etc,for better and stronger ones before they start the built , what i am saying is if you going to do that might as well buy ebay kit and and i read again there the same kits the website shops sell (or are they and the engine is similar again are they or are they better engines??)i been thinking, spending 140 on ebay kit or 200-230 on website kit and still changing the parts, if the engine is the same?.if you know what i getting at??, i wanting a bike as a hobby bike to run about 10 mile radiues to veg plot(4 miles) and shops etc.

ty jefuchs
well i could use the old bike to try the new kit and then when satisfied move it to new bike but what about the front mount will i need a bigger one??.

That will depend on the bike you buy. I made my own mount, and it works fine.

If it will cost a lot to get an old bike and replace a lot of parts, obviously you might consider getting a new one. I passed over my perfectly good old bike that I got for free, and bought a new one that I like less. Get what suits you. But if you're as inexperienced as I am, expect your new bike to get scratched up a bit.

My scratches were easy to hide, since the bike is black, which has to be the easiest color to match. Spray paint covers a lot of sins.

I have been building these bikes for over 5 yrs....My opinion is that all of these 2 stroke kits are the same....some sites will stick a shiny sticker on the side and up the price by $100. then they claim to give you a warranty....My the time you have to replace a part, pay freight back to seller, and freight back to you, you might as well say you don't have a warranty.....NONE of these 2 stroke kits are good quality....you pays your money and you takes your chances on what you get.....Most kits now come with a U bolt adaptor for the front of the bike...

Back