NGK BPR6EY on 66cc?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dodge dude94, Sep 1, 2011.

1. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

Yes, I did search.
    All I found was a thread barely even discussing it, and those guys had 49cc.

I am wondering about the BPR6EY plug. It seems longer than the factory plug, and it has a hotter heat range.
    My only concern is if it will hit the piston. I have an anglefire head and a domed piston. Part of me says it won't hit, but I wanna be sure.

Thanks guys.

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

If it's longer then the factory plug, I'm pretty sure it will hit. If you already have it, install the plug and turn the engine over by hand, remove plug and look at the ground electrode.

3. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

From bottom up:
    Champion CJ6Y
    Factory plug
    Autolite 5224AP
    Hopefully my pictures will be in the right order.

I took pics of the plugs in the head. The factory plug isn't projected very well, this is what leads me to believe I won't have any problems with a longer nose plug.

Attached Files:

4. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

it's not the size of the plug that's important here, it's the length (or reach) of the threads.
    as you can see in the pics above the champion plug is physically longer than the stock plug, but the thread reach is about the same.
    I personally would not put a champion plug in a ANYTHING i own. I wouldn't even use a champion plug for a fishing weight because they are JUNK.
    Just like the stock plug that comes with these engines. they are garbage, and that's where mine went....in the garbage.
    THE plug to use is an ngk b6hs because it has the right reach ( longer than the stock plug), right heat range and it is a very good, high quality plug that's the choice plug to use in japanese 2 stroke dirt bikes.
    the autolite plug is way too long and autolite plugs are the choice for use in ford engines (blahhhhh).
    you want a plug that has long enough reach to let the electrode protrude into the combustion chamber while not letting it contact the top of the piston.
    if the electrode is up inside the threaded hole, the electrode is shrouded and will not give the best combustion.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  5. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Come on motorpsycho, you know a Champion plug is good for a fishing weight when there is nothing else to use...but only for a fishing weight. GMC...A/C plugs...Ford.. Autolight... and my Dodge...no plugs. But you do make a point...pure JUNK.

6. 2strokepoke

2strokepoke Member

darn i just bought a Champion Cj7y plug.. and youre saying they are :poop:

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Use whatever plug you have. Form your own opinions. :grin5:

I happen to like Champions. L86C and CJ7Y

8. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

The Autolite is the long one, the Champ is the shorty.
    So, the B6HS is the best one?
    BTW, I have Champs in my lawnmower, truck and my dad's truck. They all work great.
    Why does your Dodge have no plugs???
    :D
    Too scary for ya??
    :D

9. 2strokepoke

2strokepoke Member

i think his dodge has a Cummins. Diesel=no plugs

10. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

lol
    That would explain it.
    I didn't even think about it. Most people rag on Dodge, so I figured that the Dodge was just sitting there where ever to rust away. But that is good to know.
    :dunce:

11. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

well,
    When i was building the engine for my first car i put a set of champion plugs in it.
    only 5 out of the set of 8 actually made spark.
    Pulled those champions out and threw in a set of a/c's and the problem was solved.
    My first car was a 71 chevelle, with a 400 cubic inch chevy small block that I built (not stock).
    I have been building cars and engines since i was 15 years old, and i will never buy a champion plug again because of that one experience.
    My dad has been a mechanic for 50+ years, and when he found out that i put champion plugs in my engine, he wasn't too happy.

12. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

b6hs or bp6hs or equivalent. i run 8's

you can stick a Es into the slant heads, dont have a projected es to try.

the problem is when you go to remove it.

the threads that protrude into the combustion chamber get carbon build up, which then strips the thread in the head when old gorilla grip tries undoing it...

stick with the H series. or equivalent :)

13. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

^To be honest....THAT is the answer I was looking for!
    lol
    THANK YOU!
    I am thinking BP7HS.
    It gets hot here in Texas, but not (usually) super hot.
    The 7's are good for like 80-110*F, sooo, I should be good.
    It will work fine with a slant head, right?

14. CroMagnum

CroMagnum Member

Be careful - while the "H" means it's the correct 1/2" reach (as opposed to the 3/4-inch "E"), the "P" stands for Projected Insulator so it may still hit the piston. Check it for clearance first.

Here's the difference:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

I was aware the "P" stood for projected.
    Is it really gonna hit with a slant head, dome topped piston?
    I would like the BP because it is....well...projected.
    Thanks for the picture reference.

16. CroMagnum

CroMagnum Member

You can stick a glob of modeling clay on the end of a plug and cycle the piston. Then you can see exactly how much clearance you have.

17. HeadSmess

nope. theres a good 5mm clearance :)

can even run a BPH on the standard heads with... i darent measure the clearance! not much!

18. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

^What's special about the BPH?
    I know the HIX is the iridium plug.

19. HeadSmess

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011