NGK plug cap problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 45u, May 14, 2016.

1. 45u

45u Active Member

The inside of the NGK plug cap is made of brass where it hold is to the plug. Every gallon of fuel I have to replace it as the part that holds the cap on the plug wares out and will not stay on. Has any one else had this problem? I am sure it has to do with vibration.
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you DID take the terminal nut off the plug - are you sure it is real NGK, as I've replaced many of the chinese caps with real NGKs and never had a problem

3. 45u

45u Active Member

Yes as they say NGK on them come in a NGK box and where left over from when I had my motorcycle shop for 0ver 13 years. Been working on and much of the time make a living working on motorcycles including but not limited to machine work for 45 plus years. I still have all my own machines. The plug cap will not even begin to go on with the plug thread on top.
    Thanks
    Jeff

4. crassius

I avoid the NGKs with resistors, but if you're firing OK that won't cause failure of the cap. I get NGK LZFH caps that are short, zero resistance, & look just like the chinese caps that come with kits - I've seen a lot of NGKs with very long bodies that may not allow the top of plug to get all the way up inside, and I've also seen caps with a rubber seal at bottom that was so tight that I had to put that on plug by itself to get cap on, then pull the rubber back up over the plastic.

Other than that, there is no reason the steel spring inside would fail to hold the steel threads on the plug.

5. 45u

45u Active Member

I assure you after 45 plus years of working on motorcycles much of the time as a living it is installed properly but the sprinting does wear out in about half a gallon just like the stock plug caps. Motor runs just fine till the spring wares out and the cap pops off. I am going to try a standard cap where you have to thread on the piece on the plug. I had several CDI s come with this set up.
    Thanks
    Jeff

6. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

CDI's come with 2 different plug caps.
    One has a little tension clip, which can only be used on a plug with top cap off where the threads are, the other is fatter to accommodate the plug with the cap on.
    They don't play nice together.

Cap On.. Cap Off.. Cap On.. Cap Off..

7. 45u

45u Active Member

Yes this is what I was saying in my above post.

8. crassius

going to a rubber cap and replacing the terminal nut on the plug should fix your problem, but there is nothing about the HT motor that would cause this - you need to look at your cap and plug and try to figure out how they differ from the thousands you've probably seen on motorcycles - I've worked on motorcycles for 57 years and owned a shop for many years, I now am only full time repair for these chinese POSs in my area (cause they're about all I can lift at my age)

9. 45u

45u Active Member

I am so called retried but past customers after trying others will not let anyone touch their motorcycles but I. Some have been customers for over 30 plus years. My only transportation is my motor bike and my rig (motorcycle with sidecar) as in 45 plus years of none stop riding I have only owned a cage when the children where small because I hate a cage! Only the good Lord can keep me off motorcycles.

I have some wanting me to build them motor bikes but with the poor quality I do not see how to make money on them and still do customers they way I have always done them. I know what is causing the plug cap problem it has to do with vibration.

Just a FEW of my toys I use often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

With a drill press you can drill a couple holes in the crank wheels to balance out that vibration

11. 45u

45u Active Member

Being I have several cranks I am going to be playing with balancing.

12. In my short experience I took a small power cable cut about an inch off, stripped 1/2 of it clean. Then inserted it into a short auto plug wire and crimped the exposed wire on the end where it would attach to the coil. Unscrew the stock plug wire, then screw in the part of wire crimped that is still insulated into the CDI. No more unscrewing plug caps and no problems thus far. It took me about less than ten minutes.
    I hope this helps in some way. Windy City Bob.

13. 45u

45u Active Member

Old wires use to have a metal end on them you screwed under the cap on the plug. But sure lights you up if you get near it or it is wet. Thanks for the input but I have good none screw on caps I will try if I have any more problems.

14. Thanks for the acknowledgement. I am gonna be 49? Next month and today I ho for orientation to start a welding class in my county community college FOR FREE! 90 DAYS 3:00 PM TILL 9:00 PM. I just hope o am physically capable of doing this. Kinda nervous, hadn't worked for a while A LONG WHILE due to injury at work. Someone else's stupidity. Yah gotta get back on that horse. Or bike.

15. 45u

45u Active Member

I do understand as I am 61 with heart and other problems and I am very limited to what I am able to do but I do not let that stop me just slows me down. I am in pain 24-7 but like everything I have learned to live with it. I do some welding myself and have always keep a welder around for the past 4o plus years. I wish you the best and hope you are able to weld if nothing else you will have that skill and this alone is not a bad thing!

16. Didn't qualify for.grant/class failed my math test had to do everything on paper like back in old school days before calculaters and smart phones.

17. 45u

45u Active Member

Sorry to hear this but people need to know how to do it longhand before they should ever be able to use a calculator. If we ever have a nuclear problem none of the high tech stuff will work including your vehicles. I was at Burger King one day and the computer was down and none of young's there even new how to figure sales tax. You have to have a high school diploma to even work there. THIS IS SAD AS IT WILL BE PART OF YOUR DOWNFALL. When I was in school the only calculators they had would take one person just to carry it. Now when I was in college we were only allowed to use them sometimes. How about studying some math and try again?

18. I'm with you 100% on passing the test without machines (just a little nugget do you know what a comptomater is?) I actually have one that still works it was my grandparents they both worked for the railroad.
    Now the test I'm not being hard on myself because its been years since I've needed to do that much that fast. 75 math equations in 30 minutes with no warning and I finished 2/3 of the test. That's not bad.

19. If I had known I had to take a test on reading and math I would have prepped before I took the test. I aced everything on the reading level. Just not enough time to finish the math equations when they started getting into volumes and densities in algebra and trigonometry? That's when it got a little complicated, So I don't feel so bad. Never give up never surrender.

20. 45u

45u Active Member

Yes I think you did well. No I do not know what it is. Sure would like to see a picture. One of my too many hobbies is railroads.