Nice Jackshaft Idea

Same here. At $63, and anothe $22 for the chainring, I'd try it if I didn't have so much going on already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said in my previous post I should have these available to all shortly. I would like to get a prototype off to Andy in the next month or so. I would like him to do a review and provide feedback. I will post some pics tonight. You can buy the freewheel crank set up from Cyclone in Taiwan. I asked them to make the crank kit available because I knew you all would like this idea. Here is the link.
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order.htm
The item is about half way down the page to the left of the "Cycle Computer", they are selling the kit, cranks, spindle, freewheel and chainring for $92 including shipping. Not too bad.

Just an FYI. Cyclone USA is out of business.

Alright, it looks like this idea with the Free Wheel Crank has caught on like wild fire!!!!
I just received an email from the Swiss company that sells these electric motor kits with the special Shimano free wheel crank. They are still going to get back to me on pricing of their full electric kit including the free wheel crank, but it doesn't look very good. They said shipping alone would come to about 122.00 Swiss Francs ($116.70 CAN), but that's for a complete kit with motor and batteries etc....
They will return my inquiry on full kit pricing for the Lanz V4 (Free Ride) Version Motor Kit in CAN dollars, but in the meantime supplied me with many price lists of all their other components all available separately in Swiss Francs.
Anyways, their price on just the complete Shimano free wheel crank, BB, and all chain rings/ bolts starts at 285.00 Euro (around $429 CAN) + shipping!!!
Note IMG code is disabled on purpose.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/sklein25/ShimanoFreewheelCrank.jpg
Now I know this is pretty **** expensive, but I do like the idea of having 3 chain rings that I can move my front derailure through and be able to pedal up steep hills, cruise around and race with all at once!!! And then there's the 4th chain ring to which your motor or engine will be attached to via jack shaft.
Now I just wish I had the $$$ for this!!!!!LOL

If only the Cyclone kit came with more chain rings instead of just the 36 and 46 option. I mean I can see the 46 being used as the chain ring to which the jack shaft and engine is attached through, but I'd still like to have at least another 2 chain rings for pedaling through. Maybe a 36 tooth and a 24 tooth with a front derailure???? To me that would be the ideal set-up for off-roading and trail riding. Just a thought..............

Maybe buying the affordable Cyclone free wheel crank and modifying it for an extra chain ring is possible? At least it's somewhat an affordable free wheel crank!!!!!

:confused:
Steve

The only thing I would be concerned about is when shifting, you'll have to remember to ease up on the throttle. Especially if you're running an internal shifter inside the rear hub. Otherwise, I can just hear the sound of those bits of gears, crunching around inside the hub...

I promised pics, so here goes. The fab job on the bearing mounts is pretty crude but that is what you get with a jig saw. The production units will be much nicer. I am interested in feedback. Like I said I would like to make this a kit. It should fit on just about everyones bikes.
The gearing is as follows.
Typical Happy Time - 10t sprocket & 40t gear = 4:1
I currently have ratios between 8:1 and 3:1

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 1,373
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 1,431
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    458 KB · Views: 1,295
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 1,347
I LOVE how you did it so it mounts to your engine! OH MY that is truly universal as long as it's mounted on the seat pole part of the frame. But then again,even on a stretch it should work.
Man I wish I had a freewheel crank laying around. I would be so right now working on it.

Ghost,
You should patent this ASAP so one of the local distributors of HT engines doesn't steal your design. You should then SELL one of these to me ASAP! PLEASE!!!! You should have no problem earning a good side income if you can mass produce these at a reasonable cost!

Yeah just sell me one too. You will spend thousands patenting & thousands more defending your patent in court. Just do IT!!

Back