Nice Jackshaft Idea

What are the little green things between the cylinder cooling fins and what do they do?
Spacers like on motorbikes to deaden sound...you'll find if u put small blocks of rubber there you'll reduce that 2-stroke "zing zing" noise by approx 20%.It takes 30 mins and works good.

ghost0, from your pics it looks possible if you had three chain rings to tune a front derailer to change from middle to granny ring? to me this also seems neccesary to stop chain jumping off, especially off road use? also wondering how you got the chain tensions right on the jackshaft? PS best mod ive seen so far, GEARS!!

I suppose it is possible to do multiple chain rings but to me pedaling is a last resort so why bother. I have ridden multi speed bikes a lot and I rarely ever used the front derailleur.

As far as chain tension goes, the spacing between the output shaft on the motor and the jackshaft is set using the correct number of links on the 415 chain. The spacing on the jackshaft to chainring is done with the same method but is adjustable by sliding the motor up or down. One thing I did not show is that I have put an adjustable stop under the rear motor mount to keep the motor from slipping. The torque now tries to pull the motor down instead of back so it will slip and will loosen the chain.

I suppose it is possible to do multiple chain rings but to me pedaling is a last resort so why bother. I have ridden multi speed bikes a lot and I rarely ever used the front derailleur.

As far as chain tension goes, the spacing between the output shaft on the motor and the jackshaft is set using the correct number of links on the 415 chain. The spacing on the jackshaft to chainring is done with the same method but is adjustable by sliding the motor up or down. One thing I did not show is that I have put an adjustable stop under the rear motor mount to keep the motor from slipping. The torque now tries to pull the motor down instead of back so it will slip and will loosen the chain.

did you have trouble with chain coming off?

Spacers like on motorbikes to deaden sound...you'll find if u put small blocks of rubber there you'll reduce that 2-stroke "zing zing" noise by approx 20%.It takes 30 mins and works good.

Where would I buy those anti-zing thingys?

Mean Lean,
The chain that goes between the jackshaft and the chainring did come off until I put the stop under the motor mount to keep the motor from slipping down due to the torque. After I did that I had no problems.

Torques,
I just cut pieces of silicone tubing and jammed them in between the fins. It didn't make that much difference. Deadening the clutch cover made the biggest difference.

Torques. I think the sound deadening may not be as effective on Japanese 2-strokes. The Happy Time motors have larger exposed fins.

Back