nice pipes!

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by clay, Aug 19, 2009.

1. clay

clay Member

i got into these bikes after building a pipe for a friend. the first pipe was a complete stab in the dark as far as length and size is concerned. but it worked great on a stock motor.

[​IMG]

i wasn't happy with the way the first pipe looked though, i wanted it to look like a two stroke pipe, so i did some research. wow! there is a lot of math and theory involved in building one of these suckers. after a lot of reading, calculating, measuring, and welding-- here is v2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Very slick!

3. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

Hmmmm,

is that the finished outlet ? being an end bleed configuration i would have thought it would need a bit of a stinger ?

love the way you segmented the chamber to get it to both tuck in between the cranks AND stay up close to the BB.

have you run it on an engine yet ?

steve

4. clay

clay Member

dt,
    you can see the little stinger a little in the first pic. the motor was way too peaky with the correct size stinger, it could barely make it to the powerband, then it felt like you hit the nitrous, there was no slow cruise. that particular id and length stinger seemed to be the best compromise for the way i ride.

i had to give my buddy his dellorto 16/16 sha back and needed some pretty heavy carburetion to keep up with the airflow requirements of this fire breathing beastie, so i figured that 2 must be better than 1. i will be building another intake for the duals soon and the carbs need a little finesse but they work about 90% as good as the dellorto. i should be able to get the final tune done tomorrow. you would not believe how nice the throttle pull is with that little 90deg cable router

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

wow... very impressive clay. any chance you want to make me one of those pipes and dual carb dealies... I got paypal???? :tt1::tt1::tt1:

6. clay

clay Member

yes there is, but your motor has to be ported to work with this pipe and carbs. for that reason i am selling everything but the bottom end. for $350 you get a new ported cylinder, modified piston, decked and reshaped head, carbs (already jetted), mild steel tuned pipe (nickel plated), and an ngk plug. turnaround is about a week and shipping to the lower 48 is 15 bucks. paypal is best for every one

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

nice work done there !!!
    that's the kind of pipe that I was expecting to see around here before long
    looks like you got it...
    good luck with the sales
    ride those THINGS

8. clay

clay Member

new manifold design, carbs tuned. the bike pulls harder and harder as the rpm's rise, the pipe sounds sweet. very rideable and very fast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tacoshell4

tacoshell4 Member

your the man!

10. Drylakerunner85

Drylakerunner85 New Member

dude!!! this setup is bad a$$!!! im deff going to keep this on the list when my motor needs an over haul. :bowdown:

11. Scottybotty

Scottybotty New Member

I think this is the coolest thing I've seen in this forum yet :) Keep up the good work and I'll be keeping this in mind when I have a few extra bucks burning a hole in my pocket!!!

12. richirich1113

richirich1113 Member

how much for just the exhaust pipe?
    my ride: mtb 29r
    58cc phantom edition motor
    jaguar cdi
    boost bottle

I think a bad A** pipe is needed now

Hopefully its affordable?>

13. adrian101

adrian101 Member

I have a question, does having two carby's make a big difference? If so, in what way?

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

All i can say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your setup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, absolutely fabulous

15. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

One larger Dellorto carb is way better than two crappy chinese carbs. Man do I ever hate those things. Horrible design with zero quality control.
    It´s an injustice to those reading this post that no mention is made of how a standard expansion chamber is terribly loud. No, it is not sweet, it is obnoxiously loud. A belly stinger and good silencer is needed for street use. Anyway the pictured pipe has too short a diffuser and too steep a baffle. Anything is better than the stock exhaust but if you are going to the trouble of making an expansion chamber then why not do it right? See my post on how to make your own pipe for this engine.

16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I really like your idea of a belly stinger.
    That's such a great way of setting up the expansion chamber for a significant reduction in noise.