no bike for me

crabdance

Local time
2:57 PM
Sorry about posting a poor me story but here mine is. I just had a long talk with my wife and it looks like I am not going to be able to get a mb. She is totally against it and thinks I crazy. But the thing that really puts on the brakes is that she says we don't have the money. So until I can save up the money penny by penny I won't be able to get a bike. I'm bummed. I don't want this to be too much of a sob story... I just had to put something down or I would bust. I appreciate everyone for listening. I really do. If I save hard, I might be able to get one in about a year or so. I just hate having to wait that long.

anyway... thanks for putting up with me for a bit... just needed to get it out some so I would not blow up on my wife. Thanks everyone.

-cd-

Sorry to hear that, but keep your eye out for parts and maybe build just a bike up the way you want it, then get the engine when you can.

The bike in my signature started as a $25 perfectly good rider from a flea market- then I went nuts.

Good luck!

Dude are you the guy that was gonna get Mark's bike?
I'm sure your wife means well thank you economy but these are some considerations:
1)You're 54 years old.
2)The money you save in gas will pay for your bike in the first 2,000 miles of use.
Calculate your gas mileage hopefully you got an old ford truck that gets 12 mph that's even better and figure how much money will go in your tank to go 2,000 miles.
Now figure a happy time (mine anyway) will go 80 miles on a tank or 160 miles a gallon.
Even one tank at 80 miles of riding compared to a 12 mpg truck your truck will burn almost 7 gallons of gas. When gas goes to 4 dollars a gallon that's 28 bucks.
Your 80 miles on your Happy Time costed you TWO DOLLARS.
That's 26 dollars in your pocket and that's only 80 miles of driving.
Even if you have an economy car you still save gas.
If your economy car gets 35 mpg you need 2 and a bit more...lets just say 2 gallons to go 80 miles. That's 8 bucks. You now have 6 dollars in your pocket enough to buy lunch.
3) What does your happiness mean to you?

4) You don't need no registration. You don't need no insurance. You can sell that extra vehicle. You only need one (assuming you have more than one car) therefore your bills will drop significantly.

I'm not gonna say any more cause your wife will probably want to ring my neck and I'm sure she has more than a good reason not to allow you this joy,but at the same time,life is so short.
I hope you hit the lotto. :D

(edit) I forgot to add in the cost of 2 stroke oil. It's a couple of bucks a quart. Figure about 35 cents a gallon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it cost money for the investment, but as mentioned it pays for itself over and over everyday you use the bike, plus its fun, gives you a chance to get away from the wife lol.

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but how much stuff does she have that she wants?
How many times do you hear "we need -------" and shells out on it. A MB isn't a huge investment and can bring you tons of enjoyment and travel savings. As long as this isn't going to be another "toy" that will collect dust I think you should have this discussion again with her or do it without her approval unless she's the one bringing home all the dough. A man has needs, and for a lot of us tinkering is one of them. It's not like you want to add new $2,000 rims to your pos car or anything.
As I said before, I've taken my new MB out more than my Suzuki SV650s this year not only because --I-- made it. It saves me on gas for my motorbiking enjoyment and it's much more a source of pride than an off the shelf made in a factory consumer product.
I would bet real money if you mentioned we should get product X (being something she would like) she would say "yeah we could really use that" or some other garbage and let you open the communal purse for it.
If you ride your MB to work you'll save tons in gas, If I rode mine to work I'm sure it would pay for itself this summer alone.
Again, sorry for the rant.. I'm just sick of hearing about guys who have had their souls removed by their "significant other" If this is just truly another throw away toy for you and little Jimmy needs his medicine then by all means you have priorities, but if your house is filled with useless nick-knacks and you treated yourself to just a simple bulk pack of dvd jewel cases this past x-mas and really want to be a motoredbiker by all means follow your childhood dream with the wind whipping through your hair and the tears of joy and wind in your eyes.

I get to play with these things cause I make the $$, I quite drinking and hanging out in wine sheds. My wife just rolls her eyes.
Ya know if you have a bike and a weedeater, you pretty much have everything you need for a motored bicycle. You have to do a little fabrication, but a friction drive MB is very doable

Yeah it cost money for the investment, but as mentioned it pays for itself over and over everyday you use the bike, plus its fun, gives you a chance to get away from the wife lol.

Thank you Hybridbiker... you made me laugh.. I needed that!

Sorry to hear that, but keep your eye out for parts and maybe build just a bike up the way you want it, then get the engine when you can.

The bike in my signature started as a $25 perfectly good rider from a flea market- then I went nuts.

Good luck!

Hi HoughMade, Here's the weird part. My wife said that she saw nothing wrong with buying me a bike.... just not the engine. She says for one thing that it's because I'm not mechanical and don't know much about engines and stuff. I told her that I could learn and she just laughed. She's right. I don't know much about that kinda stuff... I missed out on those genes when I was born but I would still be willing to learn :).

-cd-

Dude are you the guy that was gonna get Mark's bike?
I'm sure your wife means well thank you economy but these are some considerations:
1)You're 54 years old.
2)The money you save in gas will pay for your bike in the first 2,000 miles of use.
Calculate your gas mileage hopefully you got an old ford truck that gets 12 mph that's even better and figure how much money will go in your tank to go 2,000 miles.
Now figure a happy time (mine anyway) will go 80 miles on a tank or 160 miles a gallon.
Even one tank at 80 miles of riding compared to a 12 mpg truck your truck will burn almost 7 gallons of gas. When gas goes to 4 dollars a gallon that's 28 bucks.
Your 80 miles on your Happy Time costed you TWO DOLLARS.
That's 26 dollars in your pocket and that's only 80 miles of driving.
Even if you have an economy car you still save gas.
If your economy car gets 35 mpg you need 2 and a bit more...lets just say 2 gallons to go 80 miles. That's 8 bucks. You now have 6 dollars in your pocket enough to buy lunch.
3) What does your happiness mean to you?

4) You don't need no registration. You don't need no insurance. You can sell that extra vehicle. You only need one (assuming you have more than one car) therefore your bills will drop significantly.

I'm not gonna say any more cause your wife will probably want to ring my neck and I'm sure she has more than a good reason not to allow you this joy,but at the same time,life is so short.
I hope you hit the lotto. :D

(edit) I forgot to add in the cost of 2 stroke oil. It's a couple of bucks a quart. Figure about 35 cents a gallon?

Hi Large,
Thanks for all the reasons why it's a good idea to get a mb. I agree with you on all accounts. I like the one where you say "what does your happiness mean to you?". That's a good one. I wish I could convince my wife but she is very hard headed when it comes to this. She won't budge no matter what kind of reasoning I throw at her. I will remember the arguments and try them out on her though. I'm hard headed too and will keep trying. Maybe I will put things down on paper and "submit" them to her lol. It's a thought anyway. Thanks man.

-cd-

Sorry to say this but how much stuff does she have that she wants?
How many times do you hear "we need -------" and shells out on it. A MB isn't a huge investment and can bring you tons of enjoyment and travel savings. As long as this isn't going to be another "toy" that will collect dust I think you should have this discussion again with her or do it without her approval unless she's the one bringing home all the dough. A man has needs, and for a lot of us tinkering is one of them. It's not like you want to add new $2,000 rims to your pos car or anything.
As I said before, I've taken my new MB out more than my Suzuki SV650s this year not only because --I-- made it. It saves me on gas for my motorbiking enjoyment and it's much more a source of pride than an off the shelf made in a factory consumer product.
I would bet real money if you mentioned we should get product X (being something she would like) she would say "yeah we could really use that" or some other garbage and let you open the communal purse for it.
If you ride your MB to work you'll save tons in gas, If I rode mine to work I'm sure it would pay for itself this summer alone.
Again, sorry for the rant.. I'm just sick of hearing about guys who have had their souls removed by their "significant other" If this is just truly another throw away toy for you and little Jimmy needs his medicine then by all means you have priorities, but if your house is filled with useless nick-knacks and you treated yourself to just a simple bulk pack of dvd jewel cases this past x-mas and really want to be a motoredbiker by all means follow your childhood dream with the wind whipping through your hair and the tears of joy and wind in your eyes.

Hi SirJakesus, Yea, my house is filled with useless nick-knacks. They cover the walls. It's stuff my wife likes and I would never say a thing about it. And you are right about guys having their souls removed by their significant other. I feel like that sometimes. I know what you mean. I'm not saying that my wife is terrible... she just isn't open minded about things sometimes. Especially when it comes to something that I want :). I don't really know what to do about this. We are just butting heads about it. She says we can't do it and I say I want to do it really bad. Don't know how this will end in the long run. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

-cd-

Back