No fuel in cylinder

velzie

Local time
5:28 PM
It seems like I am not getting any fuel into the cylinder. The fuel bowl fills and the stock jet is not clogged. After a couple of attempts to start the bike there is no fuel visible on the spark plug. What could be a reason that fuel is not reaching the cylinder? Also it is -10C (14F) outside. Could that be a reason fuel will not flow into the cylinder? Thanks a lot.

its meant to be vaporising. you shouldnt see wet fuel on the plug at any time, unless somethings going wrong. -10 may be chilly but it doesnt prevent others from getting out there! the fuel available in your climate will be blended to suit it i hope.

one. try removing carb and pouring a small bit of fuel down intake. if it starts , runs briefly and dies, then yes...the carb is being a lil brat. otherwise, the issue is something else, such as ignition, crankseals or other...

Taking off the carb and spraying mix into the cylinder worked. The bike started in warmer weather, around 0C. I believe the cold was affecting fuel flow from the bowl, or maybe atomization?Either way, I can't wait to ride it.

i live in a climate where it might, just maybe, on certain days, for a few hours only, reach about -2... so the cold isnt an issue around here. theres other people around on here that brave russian winters, so it must be possible!

but... i do know that things like moisture can and will freeze in the fuel lines etc, and theres a lot of difference between the petrol supplied here, for average temps of 20c, and petrol supplied in sub zero climates... the aromatic content or its ability to vaporise, especially at low temperatures. gets worse in a plane when they have to deal with altitude as well. but basically petrol itself will freeze or at least "thicken up" just like motor oil gets thicker as the temp goes down.

the vaporisation of fuel takes heat, is why carbs can ice up. the fuel is cooling the carb down below ambient temps. maybe some type of shroud, insulation, and or try a hairdryer/heat gun before starting when really cold?

how old is the fuel, btw? 2stroke mix tends to go stale rather rapidly.

brrrr. cold. ikky.

Thanks for keeping up with this.

I am just frustrated I can't yet ride my bike. I have been procrastinating by focusing on my MB, and it got worse when I couldnt get it to start. It's just too cold, there's too much ice and snow and the next month will be just slush saturated with salt. I've also got a thesis to write, but all I think about is how much i'd rather work onride my MB.

I need to move to a nicer climate. Colorado maybe...

Back