no idea what to do

I would definitely not, repeat not, recommend bending, crimping the frame. I would not recommend drilling through it either.

Some folks have gotten away with it. Our pal patina, above, seems to be one of them. And my hat's off to him.

But that sort of thing is a bad risk. The bike'll take enough of a beating with a motor on it. I'd do anything you can to avoid compromising the strength of your frame.

So........that's not a lot of help, is it? Hmmm.........What will actually help you get on the road?

A different bike is your cheapest way out of this. For that matter, it doesn't have to cost anything. People throw them away all the time.

any one have ideas on how to make it work? the bikes too new to just get another one and i like it. i also want to use it to get to/from college this fall. ive heard about doing a new hole drill/tap it then just move over the original screw so it will clear the frame. the motor might fit that way. but im not too sure about that since one hole would be off center and i think the other screw would need to be moved over too. that way both clear the frame and itll still ride in the center.
idont know if hammering the frame will make it weaker or not but its not like
i plan on going at high speed off any jumps, maybe some dirt fire roads but nothing exciting. so i dont think it will realy mater

Expand your mind Grasshopper lol Front Mount.jpg

I usually get an old wrist pin, hold it against the frame, and smack it with a hammer just enough to get the studs past the frame - doubt it weakens the frame any, but if all you want is transportation, sell it & buy a $20 junker - after fitting the motor to this frame, you'll still have a lot of work to do to make the carb & all else fit.

Since your tube is fat enough refer to my pic above but instead of using a plate like that,your muffler clamp should be wide enough to drill two holes right on the clamp to slide in two bolts to your engine first. Then you attach the u bolt thru and tighten down.

image.jpg
This is a crude photoshop but you get the idea.
Get an oversized clamp so the bolts will clear and tighten down.
Then maybe even wrap the frame with an old tire tube so it will tighten down.

thanks for all the input, if i were to put clamps to make it fit, the top of the motor will touch the frame if the original engine mount isnt used. like if the engine Umiunt isnt on both of the frame tubes the top of the engine will not clear the top frame tube.
i think my aunt has a bike frame thatll work and she hasnt touched it in atleast a year and a half so i dont think she even knowes she has it. it isnt a mtn bike frame like i wanted, but its still a bicycle that i could get working

Back