Tubes No More Flats!

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by eastwoodo4, Jan 1, 2009.

1. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

i havent had a flat in four months knock on wood.:idea:what i did was put a 26x2.00 tire inside a 26x2.25 tire with a tube.little tight getting it together but seems to be the way to go.

2. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

SWEET! An extra thick tire. 4 months of motoring on an air tire is amazing!

Did the inside 26x2.00 tire have much tread on it? Also, how well does the bead seat?
  3. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

there both white wall tires with a non agressive tread.and the tire set in the bead perfectly.i was getting a lot of flats with the 26x2.25 tire cause the tube had to stretch so far to blow it with two tires it doesnt take much air to blow up hard and its been u think this is patentable?
  4. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Give it a shot. The sky's the limit.
  5. Absolutely BRILLIANT! I too had problems with compatable tubes. The ones at the Wal Marts were too small. It would inflate but the area around the valve stem is a thicker rubber so it won't expand with the rest of the tube leaving an air pocket prone to leaking especially with gel tubes. Did you keep the bead on the smaller tire as well? I could see how that can strengthen it leaving it on as long as you still have clearance to pass the valve stem thru.
  6. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

i left both beads worked out perfect.i imagine you could cut the bead off if u needed to.filipino ive been sticking it to the man for 4 months now with out a i like your you tube vids!
  7. mikem

mikem Member

Any Downside?

I was wondering if you discovered any downside to this yet? Again ... good thinkin!
  8. nsideus

nsideus Guest

This is what I run extra thick tubes with slime wrapped in and old heavy duty tube, pond liner liners and kevlar tires. Got the tube wrap idea from a 16yo down hiller.
  9. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

not a one mikem.
  10. mikem

mikem Member

Drive Wheel

That's good ... have you tried it as the drive wheel in a friction set up?
  11. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

yeah i drive a friction drive and its on the drive wheel.i never really had a prob with flats in the front.go figure.
  12. mikem

mikem Member

Sounds good. I wonder ... would it be best if the inside tire was a slick type ... less tread so it fits snugger.?
  13. loquin

loquin Active Member

Good idea. The Innova Swiftor might be a good one to use as the inside tire. It has a pretty thin sidewall, so if you wanted, it would be easy to use a pair of tin-snips to cut off the bead... Plus, at about $10 a tire, it's probably the cheapest slick tire you can fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  14. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

has anyone else tried it yet?mine is still going.
  15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Friction rollers act like steamrollers; they mash that nail/splinter/glass shard deep into the tire.:detective:

With the front tire, less than half the weight of a bike and rider is the only thing pressing the nail/splinter/shard into it.
  16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

After two flats in as many months, I had to take action last night. When I put the new tire on the rear wheel, I also installed the old tire INSIDE the new tire, along with thicker tube.

I'll do the front as soon as I find another old tire to stick in.

There is no reason to stick a NEW tire inside another NEW tire. Recycle the old tire into the new tire.

Also bought tire patch kit and small air pump to carry on "The Dragon Lady".
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  17. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Member

Just ranting here,
    Why can't "they" make a good, heavy duty tire for bikes? Such weak, crappy tires on a motorcycle or scooter just wouldn't fly. DOT regs. should apply to bicycles too; somewhat.
    I think...
    OK, I'm done.
  18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I'm with you, Nuttsy.

Every time I get a flat on my way to work my attendance suffers. It's a good thing my employer is lenient about this. Another company might threaten to fire me.

Then I'd have to give up my idea of commuting to work via bicycle.

Then I'd have to pay $81 for monthly parking and more $$ for gas.

And be less "green".:rolleyes7:
  19. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

hi heaven hope u have as good of luck as i have.just make sure your old tire dosent still have somthing sharp in it.did u have any problems mounting?
  20. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

eastwoodo4, after I mounted the rear tire, I avoided the bikepaths with broken glass.

Now I ride on the main road and claim the curb lane. There is far less glass on the road than bikepaths. With double-tire casings I hope to have flatless rides like you.

I'm in the process of building a push trailer, using a 16 X 2.125 knobby tire and 16" BMX plastic wheel. I'm also using double-tire casings here.

:idea:Double-tire is the best idea of flat protection I've heard of.