Exhaust no muffler on a 2 stroke?

With the cheap finicky nature of the HT engine I think air flow and back pressure too far "out of the norm" would result in a big KA-BOOM! after a few hundred miles. Im not talking all 2 strokes, just the HT engine. Yet im all for experimentation, at the price of these engines.....go for it and report back.
I disagree, because they are so out of norm I think they will run with almost any exhaust.

One mans music is another mans noise.

I truly despise the sound of a screaming 2-stroke engine un-muffled. It is provocative noise like that that results in shovels to the chest, or black rope across the road 18 inches above the pavement, or other such misbehaviors.

You might love the sound - odds are everyone around you wishes that engine would blow up.

well, where i live neighbors are not a concern. i don't plan on riding in the city...this is just for fun. but, i have been doing some research and i am more in favor of leaving the muffler / baffle on it and just extending the pipe. i just want to get the pipe routed out from under the frame. it looks so incomplete just hanging there like it is (since my motor is in a 20" frame, the muffler ends right in the center of the cranks on the underside of the frame)
i am all into customizing stuff, and i want to make a new exhaust...i just thought it would be easier to just take the muffler out of the equation.
but, now my thought is to put the muffler at the end of the pipe instead. i have messed with 2 stroke dirtbikes with expansion chambers and all that and i have an idea of how an expansion chamber works. i just wasn't sure on the backpressure needs of these little motors.

Straight pipes are not very neighborly.

nor am i my good friend nor am i.....i have now run my bike for 100km and my board about 40km but am getting a pocket bike expansion pipe and hacking it to fit replaced my boards engine with a 49cc over the 32cc has more grunt now

oh well -- here I go -- get on that coffee

Straight pipes are not very neighborly.

yes the coffe is kicking in now

let's just say that if we all ran straight pipes for just one day
it would probably mean the end to motorized bike riding as we know it !!!

yes I have ran straight pipes on many THINGS for many years
just sold a Ford Escourt a short while back -- straight pipe for years
sounder like a Ferris
I seem to know when to hold it down
like through town and in our neiobhborhood so as not to bother people

have seen many going by with straight pipes
such as used on scooters
I hate those THINGS
and yes
I would vote them out of here in a minute

it's all about how we ride those THINGS

I just have to say that i'm 40 years old, and i have always been a "striaght-pipe" kind of guy. i have owned drag cars with open headers, i currently own a custom 55 pontiac with dual straightpipes and no mufflers, i also own a 66 triumph bonneville with straight drag pipes on it. needless to say, i like the noise.
but, on this bike, i'll keep it quiet so it isn't so annoying. there is a difference between having a good sounding loud exhaust and an annoying loud exhaust.

Last year there was a young cop here in town who made a habit of sitting at the light right outside my apartment on his Suzuke with the straight pipes, and revving his engine (at 2:15 a.m.) while waiting for the light to change, then accelerating as fast as it was able up the street. My neighbor, a 71 yr old retired AF colonel, backed out to take his wife to hospital at the wrong moment - as the light changed - and the cop broadsided their car. According to the damage estimator, in half a city block he had gotten to around 50 mph (in a 35 zone).

Accident was ruled to be the cops fault due to excessive acceleration and speed. All I know is, that screaming ricer isn't waking me up at 2:15 am anymore. I feel sorry for the young cop, as he will never walk again, and has significant brain damage, but I am glad that screaming bike is silenced.

i would love to mount an exaust to my boardtracker, similar to the one on this twin cylinder indian pictured in this vid. ( def. worth watching him start them up) theres something very cool about shooting flames out the side of your ride.lol :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRO5UtYxFjM
could a similar exaust be put on my chinese motor? if so what would be the result? (more/less power, longer/shorter life span etc)
what is it about these old indian engines that allows them to run such little pipes? that single cylinder indian barely has a 2" long exaust.

Last edited:
Back