"no-name" 49cc 2-stroke scooter engine

I don't know anything about a shorter crank. For sure, you would need a shorter starter-pawl bolt. I've looked at parts for these motors at several different sites, and I've never seen more than 1 crank listed...

lotsa bang for the buck

got a used one, porting & rockitkey...wow!
snagged it from thescooterguy, a very nice fella...
MVC-004F.JPG
we're having a BLAST shakin' it down, i tellyawut!

i'll be taking this to "rack-mount" soon, got tank and lighting ideas to work out.

edit...i'll ask my questions there when i start the build.

Last edited:
there are all types of motors out there that look just like that . there really rant names for them , some are better than others , allot of what makes a good motor is how it was put together , i see different little stamps on them some with a triple mmm some have a double ss . it can be a good little motor .

hi jerry. well, i checked all the bolts, got a few a little bit tighter. re-tweaked the intake-stack for a good seal. new ngk plug. no more oil showing anywhere. it's a 2-pull start every time, and this thing is just yanking me down the road!

thanks, buddy...it looks like i've bought myself an engine :cool:

hi heath'

i bet we have the same "make" but i'm not sure it's mcculloch...

Attachments

• MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 374
  • MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
hello augi.ive been playing with these motors for years now.the starter does act as a generator to.i am in the midst of eliminating my sarter right now.the ones without a starter r totally diff.if your remove your starter you will have a crankshaft with a tapered end.the engines with out a starter dont have a tapered end but its just threaded like a bolt for your sprawl.there is no shorter prawl bolt to be had.i dont want to get into how im gonna make it work but it can be done.these r really reliable chines engines.i havent blew one up yet.i put one on a ****ty three wheeler awhile back.here it is in motion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYaPDNE8fzU if u notice its climing the hill and its hasnt even got started yet bye the time it gets to the camera.it tops out about 37.also notice the size of the guy riding it.im the one on the mountian bike.friction drive weed eater with a **** load of miles.thats about it for now.o yeah just made the neighbor a friction drive out of one of these. about 35 with 1 1/4 roller.

if you remove the starter you know that you will have to mod the pawl . i have done it but few mods hold up the best fix if you don't want to tear down the whole motor and replace the crank is to use the long threaded bolt that goes through the e start and threads into the center of the crank . but you have to make it shorter , and when you do that you loose the threads , because the threads stop short of the top where the pawl threads on . so you have to thread it . then of course the pawl still sticks out too far and the pull start wont go on . but if you use the spacer ring with the pull start it should all fit .

or you can leave the key in the crank and drill he center of the pawl to match so it slides over the crank about 1/2 inch and the key will stop it from spinning when you pull the starter , but this eventually fails , either the key gets thrown because of centrifical force , and if that doesn't happen the pawl moves and the pull start wont grab . i stopped fighting it and work with it now , the e start is a good thing . we went camping last sumer , my buddy drained his truck battery . my little bike managed to charge his big truck enough to get it started , go figure , i dont like baterys on my bikes . not sure why , but the e starts can run lights , in fact very bright lights . just go to radio shack and grab one of those inline resister s . they are ceramic cubes with wires coming out of the end . they will keep you from blowing your bulbs when you rev the motor up. they basicaly use up the extra electricity you dont want . or you can get fancy and use a voltage regulator http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_gas/relay.htm you can find post all over this forum of people wanting to find some way of generating electricity with there system .

Last edited:
this is all good info...maybe we should ask for this to go into "2-stroke engines"...this engine might become pretty popular.

so...i can't get a voltmeter anywhere near the engine w/o it going crazy...there's a TON of interference coming off it. i think the thing may be wobbling a bit, or is no good at all.

IF i decide to try the lighting supply, i may have to replace the starter.

IF i decide to convert to pull-only, i'll simply strip the armature and keep it & the (empty) spacer/cover installed.

Last edited:
say that again about wobbling and interference ? you saying without touching anything yur vontage meter goes crazzy , around the motor . it will go up and down with the rpms of the motor . as for this motor becoming more popular . its getting harder to find . epa standards and all .

Back