"no-name" 49cc 2-stroke scooter engine

ok, when i put the new pull-start on it (thanks for the overnite service, btw) i noticed the (terms?) armature was off-center inside the magnet/cover, but i didn't see any "wobble" on the pawl so i let it pass...

so...yup, if i get either meter-probe near the engine while it's running, the display takes a hissy-fit...anyone who's seen their speedo go nuts when their HT's running knows what i mean.

i'm guessing it's no good, i need to take the pawl-bolt out and see if the armature's not fully "seated" or something. edit: or...loosen the 4 cover-bolts and center it that way?

hey, eastwood...mine sounds that tough, too...i can't wait to get this build together right....gonna go RIDin'!

Last edited:
exactly scooterguy.there actually on there way out.the scooter stores here in brooksville that used to sell them.dont anymore.now there selling these 4 wheelers with the liftan nock offs.

great motor , jennifer at monster has been telling me may all winter long . so we shal see . i also know that scooterparts4less will not sell the 2 strokes much longer . he has been assembling them himself for awhile now . but he wont sell me the motors anymore . 4 stroke is the wave of the future , they use alternative fuels there quiet . they just dont have the rpms

if you remove the starter you know that you will have to mod the pawl . i have done it but few mods hold up the best fix if you don't want to tear down the whole motor and replace the crank is to use the long threaded bolt that goes through the e start and threads into the center of the crank . but you have to make it shorter , and when you do that you loose the threads , because the threads stop short of the top where the pawl threads on . so you have to thread it . then of course the pawl still sticks out too far and the pull start wont go on . but if you use the spacer ring with the pull start it should all fit .

or you can leave the key in the crank and drill he center of the pawl to match so it slides over the crank about 1/2 inch and the key will stop it from spinning when you pull the starter , but this eventually fails , either the key gets thrown because of centrifical force , and if that doesn't happen the pawl moves and the pull start wont grab . i stopped fighting it and work with it now , the e start is a good thing . we went camping last sumer , my buddy drained his truck battery . my little bike managed to charge his big truck enough to get it started , go figure , i dont like baterys on my bikes . not sure why , but the e starts can run lights , in fact very bright lights . just go to radio shack and grab one of those inline resister s . they are ceramic cubes with wires coming out of the end . they will keep you from blowing your bulbs when you rev the motor up. they basicaly use up the extra electricity you dont want . or you can get fancy and use a voltage regulator http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_gas/relay.htm you can find post all over this forum of people wanting to find some way of generating electricity with there system .
what im gonna do is cut off the end of the starter shaft.u know the female tapered end.cut just enough off so that it sits flush with the end of the crankshaft.then ill either cut off and rethread the regular bolt or find another regular bolt and force it in.cause im having trouble finding a bolt with the right thread.and i do have the spacer for the starter that im gonna use to bring the pull start out farther.

Has anyone got any concrete information as to what you can run off the starter - 20W? 50W? Its pretty beefy wiring, so I'd assume you can drag a bit of current off...

i had a headlight and two tail lights going.the head light was about10 leds and the tail lights were 12 volt running lights off a pop up camper.the burned pretty bright at full throttle but were pretty dim at idle.the leds wouldnt get dim.

ive had that exact engine before! it was very powerful but had almost no low end power, it was very very reliable but was oily and Leakey and the gaskets turned to goo after a couple hundred km, and also the bolts i used to mount it kept snapping because of its torque! use high grade steel to mount it!

Back