no rings in new happytime engine. wtf?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RMWdave, Jul 3, 2009.

1. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

... as the topic states, my happytime just arrived at my doorstep..... and i cant see any rings on the piston through either port is this normal

2. skjjoe

skjjoe Member

yes they are not visible through the ports . if you could see them they would hang up on the ports

3. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

someone else clarify this.... it makes sence in theroy but every 2 stroke i have ever owned was built so the rings DONT hang up? wow. strange indeed

4. skjjoe

skjjoe Member

can you see a grove where the ring would be?

5. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

indeed i can. 2 grooves

6. azbill

azbill Active Member

I would contact the vendor you bought it from

7. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

....... i really dont want to pull the cylinder to check.
    someone please tell me if its true that yo cannot see them through the ports?

8. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

You should see the rings through the exhaust port. If you've got empty grooves, you should contact the vendor. Who did you buy it from?

9. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Not that I advise turning an engine over without rings but what happens when you rotate it one revolution? It will have zero compression.

10. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

for **** sakes......
    looks like im going to take off the jug.

11. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

No need really - you really get a good look at the side of the piston through the exhaust port. And as Pablo mentioned, it'll be really easy to turn because of the lack of compression and ring tension.

Who did you buy it from?

12. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

no rings.

13. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

this would be the second engine from a guy who goes by zero-pulser on ebay.

14. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

After reading this post, I just now went downstairs and looked at a brand new Grubee Starfire 50cc and I most definitely can see the 2 rings through the exhaust port ! I removed the spark plug, removed the cover where the clutch arm is, put a socket on the small sprocket and turned the crank by hand. You can definitely see them close to the top of the piston !

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  15. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

i wish i could post up a picture of this guys but im on linux and it doesnt recognize my sony sd card.

(N) since its apart i guess ill port it. this ****ing sucks. 1st motor = spun crank after 3L, warrenty replaced engine - rings.

the chinese are ****ing idiots......
    -dave

16. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

their quality control over there -- it's a sad THING !!!

when it comes to quality control -- that about covers it !!!

it's a sad THING !!!

ride that THING ((with rings preferred))

17. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I just did a search on eBay for that user and I get a message saying that user name does not exist. When did you buy your engine ? Maybe this user has skipped town. You now ! Like take the money and run !

18. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Are they idiots, or are we for continuing to buy the junk ?

19. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Here we go blaming an entire race of people for a crappy engine factory. I used to own a Fiat automobile a while ago. It was the worst piece of cr@p I have ever driven. However, I do not think that the Italians are "****ing idiots" because of it.

We just have to face it folks, these Happy Time engines are put together in crude factories where quality and consistency of assembly is poor compared to western standards. The Chinese are capable of building some high quality equipment. (The IBM notebook I am using is an example) The Happy Time style engine will never be manufactured with high quality standards. My guess is that we should enjoy them while we can, because they probably won't be around for that much longer as motorized bicycles get banned or emission standards get tighter.

20. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

come on now guys

come on guys
    how far could one get with the small amount of money
    made on one of these THINGS
    25 miles maybe ??

they just seem not to really care over there in China
    at least when it it comes to making these small 2-strokes

Japan could turn out the ((same basic unit)) in ((top quality))
    for around 250 to 300 dollars
    if and when the demand gets to really be there
    I have predicted we will see this

heck -- rings only cause that THING to wear out anyway !!

go ride that THING