no subject

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eastwoodo4, Mar 31, 2010.

1. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

hey look,you cant get off topic!

ran into some nice side work the past couple days.
    first,me and my buddy went to take his boat(1988 fourwinns3.0i/o with cobra outdrive)out and when we started getting under way,i started hearing a nasty noise from the back of the boat.a dry outdrive was my first thought cause it sounded like rough gear noise or something.ive rplace a few water pump impellers on out boards before but im no marine mechanic..
    so we take it out and i check the fluid level in the outdrive.it was ok.
    so my next thought was bad universal joints.so i figured i could see the universals if i pulled the rubber boot(its called a bellow,now i know)loose that covers the drive shaft as it goes thru the transom.well when i took the boot loose to try and see the universals,water poured out of there.it had sat in there all winter.

so i did a little research on the www,and fund out there is a gimble bearing that the drive shaft goes thru before going into the motor.

theres a grease fitting on the side of the outdrive that greases that bearing.he never greased it and it made me a 150 bucks:)

turns out its not that bad of a job.6 nuts secure the sterndrive to the back of the boat.then the whole thing comes out with the drive shaft.the gimble bearing stays in the gimble housing.i removed it with a slide hammer with little effort.i found the parts on line.they included1 gimble bearing2 universal joints and gaskets and drive shaft seal.cost 65 bucks with shipping.
    was a little bit of work getting the drive shaft lined up to go back in but eventually got it.if anyone were to attempt this i would suggest getting the alignment tool.

when adding gear oil back to it you have to have an oil pump and you have to fill it from the drain whole,and let the air escape out of the top hole.

my next project i got this week was from my neighbor.put and ignition switch and exhaust gasket on his 71 mustang fast back.i think thats what its called.charged him 50.was simple.

and i have a break job coming up on saturday.im becoming the neighborhood mechanic.works for me:)

2. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

ps.the water got in there because the bellow was bad.replaced that too.

3. scokes

scokes Member

Not getting off topic, I am the neighborhood mechanic as well. Just last week, I did the whole spark plug thing for my neighbor (12 pack of beer and a pack of smokes) same day straightenedout the sprocket on one of the neighborhood kids bike. (No charge) rplaced the starter solenoid and tires on a co-workers riding mower($100) and replaced the alternator on my wifes sante fe. (That was a *****. They don't make them like they used too)

I've got a few more small engine repair jobs coming up.($$$) not to mention 40 hour work week and night classes 4 nights a week. Staying busy...

4. scokes

scokes Member

Not getting off topic, I am the neighborhood mechanic as well. Just last week, I did the whole spark plug thing for my neighbor (12 pack of beer and a pack of smokes) same day straightenedout the sprocket on one of the neighborhood kids bike. (No charge) rplaced the starter solenoid and tires on a co-workers riding mower($100) and replaced the alternator on my wifes sante fe. (That was a *****. They don't make them like they used too)

I've got a few more small engine repair jobs coming up.($$$) not to mention 40 hour work week and night classes 4 nights a week. Staying busy...

5. scokes

scokes Member

Sorry for the double post. I'm on my android phone and I screwed up :(

6. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

didnt think anyone would ever respond to this thread.
    yeah it can be easy money.

you sound busy with 40 hours work week and classes.
    your one of them go getters aint you.

7. scokes

scokes Member

honestly "no..." I do like a challenge and I'm always up for a little extra cash!!! That's one of the things that attracted me to the MB in the first place. I'm behind a computer all day, and when I get home, I'm able to get my hands dirty (usually on the side of the road miles away from home)

The classes are keeping me from commuting to work on my MB for now, because I have to be home and back to class within an hour and it takes about 45 minutes just to get home. Summer is almost here!!!!