NooB needs help

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by The Traveler, Mar 2, 2010.

1. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

Can anyone please tell me how to ad a picture to my profile so you all can see my ugly mug?! Thanks in advance!!:goofy:

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

3. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

Thanks on both accounts srdavo. I had figured it out. It is appreciated though!!:jester: "connect the dots, fa la la la..."

4. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

Good to see a fellow Pee Wee fan here :) . Have fun learning.... everyone here is awesome and helpful. I've learned alot since I joined in May.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

Thanks for the welcoming messages nhfembiker. I guess I have come to the right place. I have an old bike similar to Pee Wee's that is a bit worn out and beat on, so I was hoping to spruce it up just a bit and see if I could make something neat out of it. I have a lot to learn, I'm afraid. We all have to start somewhere!!:ack2:

6. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

Ah yes, we definitely do :) . A bike sort of like PeeWee's? That's pretty cool. I think he would be proud to see a motor on his bike ;)

7. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

Well, it's sort of old and kinda looks the same. Maybe I could paint it red but, I am no mechanic. I am going to get some help from a few local friends to bring it back to life. I bought and old motor like the ones you see on here from a junk man. I'm still finding my way around here. It is a big place compared to where I come from down south. Pee Wee, be proud of my bike? That's a gas!! I'm sure Francis would try to steal it too!:helmet:

8. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

Getting a bunch of friends together to help with the bike sounds like a great way to go, I wish I could do that myself. I'm kind of a loner, but something like this would be fun to learn and share with someone else....or a whole group of friends :)

I know advice has been given on the forum about the best way to paint bikes, so look around the forum and I'm sure you'll see a lot of info. I actually bought a Titan specifically for motorizing and I like the colors (white and purple), so I can't say I looked too much at that particular thread.

Yes, Francis probably would try to steal your bike :)

9. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

I looked at your bike on line, Googled it because I have never heard of the Titan before. Looks like a pretty cool bike. Did you get that at your local bike shop? I have found that some of the bike shops up here carry different bikes than down south. There are so many options. I only have a few friends up here so I'm not sure "bunch" of friends is accurate but, they are better with mechanics then I so, I am lucky in that department I guess.

10. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

I was too shy to go into my local bike shop because I get taken advantage of pretty easily -- I'm soft spoken and have a tendency to go along with whatever an "expert" says. So I would have probably gone with any expensive bike the salesperson suggested.

I saw my bike on Overstock.com for a little over $200, and I got 10% off because I'm on Overstock's mailing list. It arrived in a box... in some large pieces... and I put it together myself (and patted myself on the back afterwards because I had never put together anything even close to a bike). I just fell in love with the colors mainly, and when I had done research about the type of bike to get in my situation... I kept seeing the brand Titan, which was highly praised by people who knew more about bikes than I did. And I have nothing to complain about... its an awesome bike. And like my ipod... I always want to make it better :)

The downside of moving from Florida to New England is that you only have a few riding months out of the year :( . The winter and cold weather seems to last at least 6 months here. So those of us who live here are always anxiously awaiting Spring. I can't wait to get out and ride my bike again :)

11. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

Also, I realized that a great place to go for bikes is the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine.... what a selection! They have bikes there that make me salivate :)

12. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

Wow!! I am impressed!! You have never built anything before and you were able to do that? Awesome. Even doing that would make me nervous. I would give you a pat on the back too!! I would most likely have a wheel or a brake part fall off. You don't seem shy at all! I think that is a pretty courageous thing to do and now here you are even lending this REALLY new MB'er some encouragement. Thank you!! Maybe I will give it a go once I have a new bike. Right now I think I should just tinker with my old bike and learn a thing or two. That sounds like you got a good deal on your bike. I will check that site out. I have never used that before. Is it hard to navigate around? I just use Ebay.

13. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

Is Kittery, Maine far? I will look it up on line.

14. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

It depends on where you are in New England. Its right over the NH border, where all the Maine outlets are. That area in general is awesome if you're looking for great buys. The trading post is great for not only bikes, but other outdoor items (camping supplies, and anything you can think of for outdoor sports). And they are very reasonable price-wise.

Overstock is great... they come out with 10-20% coupons fairly often. Not that I'm thrifty, but I appreciate a good deal. Especially when purchasing things online where you're not 100% sure about what you're getting until it hits your doorstop. And their return policy is very easy-going.

Building the bike definitely wasn't easy.... I dropped things, put them on backwards or all-together wrong.... but I just didn't give up. It was all about conquering the fear of doing something new, and re-kindling a childhood love. I was always riding a bike when I was a kid and the weather was even somewhat descent....back in the day when parents didn't shelter their kids much at all... they just closed the door right behind ya, locked it, and said "Don't come back until its dark outside." :)

You'll have lots of fun... either repairing and spiffing up your old bike, or motorizing a new one :) And the good people of MB will always pipe up to answer your questions along the way :)

15. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

Well thanks for all of the good information. I am sure I will find it useful. Good to "meet" you nhfembiker. I look forward to learning all about this bike and how to make all of the mechanicals work on it. It should be a lot of fun. I am going to steal a little of your confidence and a map, then maybe find Maine and some good deals. The weather in Southie is getting nice. A little cold at night but, I am told it will improve soon. I hope so. I like to camp and be outdoorsy too. Maybe I will find some other things at these stores that you mentioned that I can use!! Wish me luck.

16. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

Luck wished!!! :)

I work in South Boston and live in New Hampshire. Right now it seems we're seeing signs of Spring... but its supposed to snow tomorrow and Thursday. And rain...lots of rain :(

But Spring will be here soon (I hope).

17. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

That's funny that you live in New Hampshire. I have family up there and am considering moving up there to be closer to them. The city is fun but, it is a little too much for me sometimes. I would bet that there is plenty of room up there to build and ride my bike. And I am sure a lot less noise from all the traffic around here. I just watched the news and they are saying this weekend may be Spring-like. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

18. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

Spring weather would definitely be nice :)

Less noise and nice rural areas are why I moved to NH. I previously lived in Melrose MA and Haverhill MA.... and I didn't like the hustle and bustle at all. And the no tax thing is nice too :) I figured I already have to deal with the city of Boston on a daily basis... I work for a very large financial company. Its nice to have some sort of escape away from that.

Its really nice in NH in the Spring and Summer :)

19. augidog

augidog Banned

ok, you two...get a room...LOL!

seriously, i keep looking at the "new posts" in the help & suggestion area and all it is is some gettin' aquainted...nothing wrong with that but you're in the wrong place is all :)

20. The Traveler

The Traveler New Member

Hey, sorry guys and girls. I am new to forums and didn't know that there was a specific area to talk in for certain things. I didn't mean to cause bother to anyone. Nhfembiker, if you could direct me to the right area I would appreciate that from you.