Noob question about pedaling

I have never had a motorized bicycle before. If you choose not to use the motor can one still pedal without a lot of drag. I still want to use the bike for fitness. I want the motor to help me out on hills and when I get tired. I have congestive heart failure and bike riding is really good for cardio.

I use my bike like you suggest, as power assist for hills and for speed on long runs.
I use pedal only (with motor off) in town and on shared use (motor prohibited) pathways.

I was able to significantly reduce non-motored friction by:
1) getting the chain line alignment straighter (chain bend or rub is a friction maker)
2) using a larger diameter idler with a high quality roller bearing (again, chain bend is bad)
3) keeping the chain lubed with a high quality lube (synth bicycle lube)
4) keeping the chain tension adjusted perfect (no tightness, minimal slack)
5) adjusting the clutch for minimal drag (this was quite important)
6) using lighter (less viscous) grease on the 6202-2RS clutch bearings
7) removing the inner seals on the 6202-2RS clutch bearings
8) switching from heavy high friction 410 chain to lighter BMX bicycle chain (not done yet)

The first 7 steps have significantly reduced the friction and noise of the chain system while pedaling.
I am looking forward to getting the BMX chain on. It requires a thinner (or thinned) front sprocket.

Steve

Just go center mount electric, zero pedal drag and it uses your gears.

2_SpecializedEpicDoneR-1280.jpg

The motor has a freewheel sprocket so no drag when you pedal the sprocket pair.
The pedals freewheel like a socket wrench when the motor is turning the sprocket pair.
You can use your legs and the motor at the same time, it's like having bionic legs, but you don't have too.

$349 for the kit except the battery at SickBikeParts
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=181

You won't need a battery that big, it's nearly 1KW of power, but that customer needed it.
A 'water bottle' battery would work for your needs.

You have COPD too?
I have a current customer with the same thing but I'm building him an electric trike with the same electric setup.

TrikeE2.jpg

TrikeE1.jpg

This customer totes a G3 air system with him, so I am rigging him a storage spot in the back with a 12V tap to power it from his car 'cig lither' jack ;-}

Just another option for you needs.

Last edited:
That's a nice production e-bike.
A little weak in power but meant for those that want to pedal anyway.
$1,450 seams about right to0.

A friend of mine has one KC, we went out for a ride and traded bikes back and forth.
It was very simple to ride. No throttle, just pedal. His battery is actually built in smoother than that picture.
It is completely stealthy, makes little noise, and goes at about the maximum speeds of pedal only bikes.
It draws no attention what-so-ever, even on motorless trails and urban paths.
The power is sufficient for any hills we came to and keeps speeds to reasonable limits.
Moreover, it maximizes range with only a small, light battery.

I was very impressed with the bike It is very comfortable to ride, much better than my MTB.

He got it because he wanted long range, assist on the hills and absolutely no hassles for Johnny Law or other bicyclists.
He valued comfort, acceptance and range over speed. He got it!

Steve

That type of bike would not work for me, because I cannot pedal due to a disability. I looked at Pedego bikes, and to get what I needed rangewise would be over $3000, compared to just over $300 for my friction drive setup, not including the bike. But there is a specific bike path about 20 miles long that runs along a canal bank close to my house, and I wanted to be able to ride on that, and gas powered bikes are not allowed. I gave it up for now. If the govt. would pay for about half of it I would go ahead and get one. But the price of electrics is absurd right now. Yes you can get cheap ones, but a 5 mile range just isn't going to work for me.

A friend of mine has one KC, we went out for a ride and traded bikes back and forth.

I was very impressed with the bike It is very comfortable to ride, much better than my MTB.

He got it because he wanted long range, assist on the hills and absolutely no hassles for Johnny Law or other bicyclists.
He valued comfort, acceptance and range over speed. He got it!

Cool!
That's what MBing is all about, getting the right system for your wants and needs.
If you can find a mass produced one that fits your needs all the better!

and everyone's is slightly different.
That's why I don't have a showroom with a bunch of pre-built bikes, every build is custom and it starts with the Contact form on my web site, it has a questionnaire that asks for all I need to make an ideal suggestion.

Riders Stature:
(weight and inseam)

Expected max miles per ride/day:
(for example 10 miles one way)

Rider mechanical skill:
(can't fix a flat to master mechanic)

Initial thoughts and budget:

There are lots of ways to motorize a bicycle and I am fortunet enough to have tried most every way their is to actually be able to suggest the best way with just the info above, especially their Stature.
There is a lot of difference between options for a 6'6" 250# man and 5'5" 150# woman, it helps to know that basic stuff going in ;-}

Anyway, very cool you guys switched bikes and you got a feel for it and it's ideal for your wants and needs as again, that's what it's all about ;-}

That type of bike would not work for me, because I cannot pedal due to a disability.
I looked at Pedego bikes, and to get what I needed rangewise would be over $3000, compared to just over $300 for my friction drive setup, not including the bike.

Your a local Dog, I can fix you up for ~$1500, I don't like to pedal either and loved the cannel routes ;-}

But there is a specific bike path about 20 miles long that runs along a canal bank close to my house, and I wanted to be able to ride on that, and gas powered bikes are not allowed.

Ya I know, it sucks, riding the canal banks was our Autobahn for years, but the 'Spandex" crowd complained enough to kick us off it.

I gave it up for now. If the govt. would pay for about half of it I would go ahead and get one.
But the price of electrics is absurd right now.
Yes you can get cheap ones, but a 5 mile range just isn't going to work for me.

A 5 mile range wouldn't work for anybody, and prices are not as bad as you think, $1 goes a long way against the China currency rate right now, the dollar is real strong and the Yen real weak ;-}

Anyway, you are a local and have an experienced E-anything builder here, you might want to advantage of that bud ;-}

but the 'Spandex" crowd complained enough to kick us off it.
Big thing I like about motorized bicycles is they are cool..... One thing that is not cool is a bunch of grown men wearing skin tight clothes.

MBing is a hobby that is cool and grabs a lot of attention (most of the time is the good kind;))
My 'attire' for biking is usually blue jeans, boots, and a t shirt....

Alot of people bike for the ability to do exercise, I'm the total opposite lol ikr but I just do it for something extra to do on the nights I'm not busy.

I build a bike to cruise at about 30 (speed limits around me) but to pack me up every hill.
I don't understand buying a 2-3 thousand dollar road bike that doesn't power itself?!? (Mountain bikes are pretty mean looking though:p but also they have a lot more moving parts with more expensive parts)

Motorized bikes aren't a moped. They aren't a motorcycle. So I don't understand why we can't ride every where a bicycle can???

Had to vent a little;)

Back