CVT northern tool torq converter

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Nitropeewee, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Nitropeewee

Nitropeewee Member

2. just looks like a standard slip clutch system with a paint job done on it. not sure how it would work on a bike tho. have to change the front sprocket

3. Silvaire

Silvaire Member

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

It's a little more than a slip clutch......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pptnRGTH_XA

5. Nitropeewee

Nitropeewee Member

Good info, thanks srdavo. Sorry for askin in the wrong spot:dunce:

6. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

Sad is they were about $179 a couple years ago. They have been used for years on go-karts and mini-bikes, way back in the 60's

7. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Do a search on Kerf. He has a smaller, lighter, and less expensive version he is currently using. They are hard to find anymore, but I did manage to find a source that sells them for around 90 bucks. Unfortunately I will have to find the receipt to determine where that was. If anybody is interested I will look it up.

Kerf gave it a thumbs up after some modifications as I recall.

8. Nitropeewee

Nitropeewee Member

Yes please look it up

9. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

ha, the container must have come in. These things were out of stock for a while, but are again aavailable. Two ebay stores that carry them are rose326a...item #150387685772, and fancyscooters #370490374573.

Can't tell you the difference in quality for the price. Keep in mind that these are decided for the 50cc atv's.

10. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

Yep these are for the small high rpm engines,pocket bikes and Honda,and the china 4stroke. The Comet will not work on then,unless you mount it on a jack shaft reduced to lower rpm's The Comet is designed for 3,600 rpm engines and 3 to 8 HP.

11. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

Interesting, but kind of big for bicycle use don't you think? The Briggs 8 horse is a huge heavy lump...
    but it might work for say a 50 cc or slightly higher cc well built tuned 4 stroke, feeding a shift kit.
    just a thought...
    BBB

12. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

A lot of guys have used them. Some have used them on 97cc harbor fright 4 stroke witch is a 3,600 rpm engine. They were also used on older mini bikes with 3hp ......Curt

13. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

Ahh yes, the old Rupp style mini bikes... I had one with a Briggs 3 hp. upright motor and the steel plate rear brake that rubbed on the rear tire.
    Awful little bike, but I was 12 and didn't know any better yet, now I know why my dear old dad just stood there shaking his head.
    Rock on Dude...

BBB

14. smokie old bikes

smokie old bikes New Member