Not a smart choice

"i hit 47mph+ regularly on one hill going down and if a tire came off the rim at that speed"

I don't think that will be an issue because he was telling me that they sponsored a trike land speed record that hit a max speed of 78 mph. The only issue he had concerns about was long sustained speeds over 30 mph with our summer heat with 117 air temperatures. Our road temperatures can exceed 160+ here in Tucson. I have seen motorcycles fall over because the asphalt gets so hot it melts and allows the side stand to sink and the bike just falls over.

They sent me cutaway samples that you use to check the fit on your rim with and I was impressed with the fit on the Whizzer rim. I can't see it coming off on it's own under any stress loads seen by a motor scooter or bike. I will take photos of samples and how it fits tomorrow and post them.

I am not yet able to test them and as of yet can not recommend them. I will however post a link when I post the pictures of the samples. I got the link from an article that was covering their product DOT certification testing for use on passenger cars trucks and motorcycles. They did not however have an estimate on when the tires (Tyre) would be available for use on cars and trucks.

Link name came to me so here it is...

Link: http://www.amerityre.com/

Bike tire info is a little hard to find so here is the easy way to get it.

PDF catalog: http://www.amerityre.com/resources/pdf/AmerityreProductCatalog.pdf

Go to the last page of the PDF and you will find the bike tire information.

I am told the tread selections are a little different and availability of the size and tread needs updated as well. He said it is an old PDF and needs to be updated. He also said they are putting all their time and resources into their product development and the DOT certification process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the samples I spoke of. The rim is my front rim but the rear is the same. They only sell black now so yellow is no longer available. Once the entire circumference is on the rim it will squish the bead in even tighter and essentially make it necessary to cut the tire to remove it. the sample when squeezed seems close to my 26 X 2.225 with 65 PSI although the tread feels stiffer. I imagine it will have lower rolling resistance too.

I can't wait to try it and see if it is going to work as antisipated. Photos were rushed so if you need better resolution let me know and I will put more effort into getting lighting, distance and focus better.

Attachments

• solid tire on rim.jpg
    solid tire on rim.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 268
  • tire profile.jpg
    tire profile.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 240
  • tire sizes.jpg
    tire sizes.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 223
  • tire tread.jpg
    tire tread.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 229
Well the tires came in today.
Although I came down ill yesterday I just had to pop the front tire on since the tire and tube were already off and I had the wheel already off the bike.

I must say it was a little more than just pop it on though. I finally gave up and asked the wife to help hold my progress on the one side while I worked it on from the other side. I was chasing my tail going around and around dismounting just as much as I mounted as I tried to work it on the rim.

Note; It will not fit unless you have the bead/lip seated in the rim everywhere as you go around it in an attempt to mount it. With the wife holding my progress I was able to force the tire on by hand. It did take quite a bit of force though.

The tire seems like all I had hoped for although I wont get to ride it until I'm feeling better. In my condition just mounting the one tire made me want to go back to bed :cry:

Kep1a

Attachments

• very tight fit.jpg
    very tight fit.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 255
  • tire mounted.jpg
    tire mounted.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 235
  • tire after mounting.jpg
    tire after mounting.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 243
good looking tire..... a tight fit should insure it won't move around.

Kudos to the Missus, for helping!! :2thumbsup:

I think there is something going around Tucson. I got it too.

Didn't notice before that you were here in town. I'm always up for a ride and would like to see those tires first hand.

Randy

Yes for sure I will update as soon as I put it all back together and ride it. I'm feeling better now but the weather is not cooperating right now. Rain, snow or both and way too cold for this fair weather rider to venture out on a bike. Hey I don't like cold weather one major reason I live here where it rarely gets cold. :)

I do notice the tire is considerably narrower in appearance once inside the fender. More easily noticed with the OE 2.125 still on the rear and the new 1.95 on the front. Otherwise the new tire is a perfect fit. Tire still feels a little pliable even a 30 degrees.

Randy,
I doubt I will get time for a recreational ride. I have not even had time to do that with the wife all this year. My riding is somewhat restricted to my commute to and from work when time and weather permits me to that is. My full time job plus being the general contractor and cheap laborer on our new home keeps me very busy. I might be able to leave a few minutes early for work on a day a ride and meet up with you so you can check it out. PM Me so we can swap information and see if our schedules will permit us to meet up.

OK first update,

The tire if left in the sun an hour or two goes on very simple and with no help if you ensure the bead is fully locked in as you go around the rim with the tire. The fit on the rim seems perfect to me.

My first impressions after a quick loop around the block before I had to go to work.

1. The tire has a very firm but not at all harsh ride.
  2. The rolling resistance is noticeably less. (Like a high pressure tire)
  3. Turns and feels almost sporty.
  4. The narrow tire gives the bike a board track racer look.

This narrow tire gives the bike a board track racer look has lots of room inside the fender now. At first I was put off by the little tire appearance but that look along with all the positives that go with that smaller tire grew on me very quickly.

I need more ride time before I give it a full seal of approval. So far though it has been a great choice for me.

Kep1a

I do not see where to buy these tires on their website. I would be very interested.

I just called their toll free number and they immediately sent me out the samples via first class mail. I just called back and ordered the size and tread I wanted via the phone. Bike tires seem to be a we also sell product for them. I had my tires in 3 days.

(800) 808-1268

Kep1a

Last edited by a moderator:
Back