Not exactly a Motrized Bike, But not a mini-bike

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MadPatt, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MadPatt

MadPatt New Member

At this point, I'm building a OHV motorized bike-like contraption.... Well a Post Apocalyptic version of one...

Well I better explain... I want something that I can ride at Wasteland Weekend (a post Apocalyptic (Mad Max style ) event in Southern California each September) I found a snowblower at a Thrift store for $20.00 with a 5 hp engine that works... so I figured I'd make a mini-bike (luckily I can sorta weld)... but mini-bikes mostly use small wheels, and I already have a bunch of bike parts that I could re-use (Mt. bike tires, the head tubes (after some grinding) etc...)) So it wouldn't exactly be a mini-bike... But it wouldn't be pedal powered, motor assisted bike either.....And it will look like something kinda Mad Maxish......

So...Why am I here ? Well looking at some of the threads, there is a lot of information that I will need for my build. And Information is always important, no matter how weird a project....

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

post photos when it comes around.

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yes. Definitely post photos.

Are 26 inch bicycle wheels going to be strong enough for the use you're going to put them to?

4. MadPatt

MadPatt New Member

Are 26 inch bicycle wheels going to be strong enough for the use you're going to put them to?
    I hope so....I'm not planning on doing jumps or anything, just putting around at Wasteland.
    I've started bending the tubing for the frame, I'll post a picture soon, if everyone will forgive the messy garage....

When I've modified bikes before, I've just "eyeballed" cutting out the joints, but for this frame I don't have as much wiggle-room, so I'm going to use Blender and Pepakura (3D graphics and an "unfolding" program) to make a pattern for the joints.

I'll post more as I progress....

5. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yup! Definitely post your progress. It sounds like an interesting build.

6. MadPatt

MadPatt New Member

I have some of the frame bent but it's just C-clamped together for now. I wanted get an idea of what it will kinda look like. The top of the frame will be more horizontal, I just left extra metal at the ends for when I cut-out and fit everything together. There will also be more bracing as I progress. I also made the cutting patterns for where the tubing fits the head tube, but those are on the other computer...(so I'll post those latter.)
    I also cut down the front forks, but they aren't welded together yet....The wheels look weird because they are just leaning against the front of the frame.

[​IMG]

7. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

You should check out www.atomiczombie.com website, you could probably find so.e ideas there that would fit in at that event.