Carby Not sure how to fix the carb

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Neileo96, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

I mounted my engine and everything fine and when I first added gas I to the tank and opened the fuel valve it started leaking out of the air filter, so I read up and the float was letting gas fill up the carb and it had to come out somewhere so now either gas leak out of the carb or air filter or no gas gets into the engine at all not. sure how to fix the carb, any help would be appreciated

2. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

When I take the float bowl off and keep the gas on I can push the float level forward or no gas comes out and when I let go gas comes out, that's how it is supposed to work right? But once I put the bowl back on either to much gas is allowed out and fills up the bowl and starts coming out the air filter or I raise the float lever a tiny bit to stop the leak and no gas is pumped into the engine

Attached Files:

3. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

make sure float needle & seat are clean, tickler button isn't stuck down, casting of carb & bowl have no bits of excess metal that could make float stick

4. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I wouldn't care one bit about gas coming out the air intake. I get rid of the filter altogether to provide for maximum airflow. Even with perfect functioning, some gas si gonna kick out the intake.

A common problem with 2 strokes is that the float bowl will spill over and fuel will leak out thru the gasket. Drip. Drip. Drip. Usually caused by the float valve not shutting down the fuel flow. It's very good to fix this, but some carbs are just imperfect. If your engine runs well regardless, carry on as this is not a fatal flaw. Make sure to shut off that fuel valve once the engine if off, though!

5. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

6. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

I put the float at 21 'll and it still has a leaking issue out the air filter, but when I went down a hip the motor did kick over and start to run but only for about 10 seconds then it shut off and then I would keep peddling down a hill and it would kick over for about another ten seconds of throttle, so pretty much I need to be going at a higher speed than normal for it to start and it didn't stay on, my thought it still to much gas is being pumped in

7. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

Or there isn't enough fuel being pumped in because when I would twist the throttle it would rev up but then cut out

8. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

POS carb. throw it away

9. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

I order a new one a couple days ago so should I double check the measure and make sure it's at 21mm then instal it or just throw it on how it is you think?

10. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

too bad you ordered the same ole crap and didn't get a good carb like a Mikuni or Dellorto

11. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

I can order a better carb as long as it isn't any bigger, I mounted on a regular mountain bike and there is no more room for anything

12. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

I can order another new one from a good brand as long as it isn't any bigger than the original because the bikini mount it on has absolutely no room for any extra stuff

13. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I've gone to the RT carb as it is a big improvement on the NT carb.

These engines like rich mixture for starting. It might help you to attempt your pedal starting with going wide open throttle.

14. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

So I got the carb in the mail and I was just wondering, I can hear float float move back and forth when I tilt it, is that normal or does that mean it needs adjusted

15. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

some are loose, some fixed - depends on what kind of carb it is

usually, a new one doesn't need adjustment

16. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

So I put the new carb on and fuel just drained right out the air filter of the new carb, I honestly have no idea what's wrong at this point

17. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

I'm trying to post a picture but that also isn't working

18. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

if you bought another POS stock carb then you got what you deserve.

true story- In high school I returned a plate of food in the cafeteria because there was a worm in the beans and the brain-dead server asked if I wanted more beans. I looked at her with a horrific look and said "heck no I don't want more wormy beans!"

19. Neileo96

Neileo96 New Member

Is this leak souly a result from the carb? Because I will buy a better one as long as it is the same size as the original factory carb Because there is no more room on the bike since I installed it on a mountain bike

20. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

post a picture

a newby is capable of anything incredible, such as mounting the carb sideways

Timbone likes this.