Not what I expected......

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by RadioActiveCareBear, Nov 8, 2007.

1. My father and I are new to this sub-culture...He took the first plunge and bought a cheap e-bay motor and thru it into a old cheap mountain bike frame put some gas into it and away he went running about 27mph out of the box...
    So I took the plunge....got me a 26" cruiser....read and read and read tons of post then bought a DAX High Performance 65cc kit bolted it in added some fuel and away I went...My problem is that I can't go more then 20mph up,down or on level ground...I've tried everything I've read exhaust mod, needle setting, drill the main jet...I'm only 165pds compared to my dads 195pds...I'm running a 44 tooth sprocket....same as my dad's...just can't figure it out....But I can say that the motor I bought hasn't lived up to it's billing that's for sure...I'm just lost and frustrated now..:confused:

2. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Remain calm. I'm sure help will arrive shortly. Dax seems to be a stand-up guy. He has a reputation for taking care of his customerrs, and there are a lot of them around here. I'm sure someone will help you get this straightened out. It's probably something simple. The reviews on that 65 are good.

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i sure hope you didn't drill that jet...

check these things: full throttle-cable travel, gaskets (all of 'em), all wiring, plug gap (.025), 20:1 premix...and just in case what you're really doing is just spinning in place, check clutch adjustment.

AND: i'm moving this into the proper area...pay more attention to forum-captions: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7573

4. I did drill the main jet but it came out of an extra carb my father had bought from Kings Motor Bikes....Since I didn't notice any performance difference I re-installed my original carb back on the bike...I doubled checked the throttle cable to make sure it is pulling the slide all the way up, and it is...and before I assembled it I trimmed the intake and exhaust gaskets to match...I'm running a .028 gap, and my mixture is 20:1 (synthetic)...I don't think I'm spinning in place...I run next to my father up, down or level ground and I just pull away from him untill I hit 20mph...Then here he comes and there he goes....

And as for your other comment: I'm sorry if this is missplaced I was under the impression I posted it into the "FRAME MOUNTED ENGINES & DRIVE TRAIN FORUM"...Again I'm sorry I'll try to pay more attention next time...

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

6. Second notch down....

7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

Just a question... How do the outside dimensions of the rear tires on the bikes compare? Oops, a couple more thoughts... Tire pressure, and is it possible to switch engines while your dad is sleeping...:rolleyes:

8. He's running a 26x1.95 and I'm running a 26x1.90, as for the little "MIDNIGHT AUTO" he is going to the dunes next weekend....

9. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Have you tried the 3rd notch on the mixture needle?

10. Is your engine broken in yet? Yhey run much better after break in.

11. noah

noah Guest

what he said:lol:

12. Scottm

Scottm Guest

This was my first reaction too. I just got my new DAX70 cc running and it putts along slowly and quietly like my first bike did. Let the bike idle/warm up for a while before you ride.
    Plus check the throttle cable adjuster on top of the cap. make sure it's not all the way in.
    Good luck

13. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

The 65cc isn't as powerful than the 70cc in my personal experience. I was disappointed with my 65cc and got a 70CC instead.

BTW, I was told by Dax that the 65CC carb is difference from the 70CC carb. Putting 70cc carb on the 65cc may cause problems.

14. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

Well...could you tells us whats going on? what happens when you get to 20mph? does it bog down? does it knock or kick? does it feel like the clutch is slipping? does it whistle??

maybe if we knew what some of the reactions are then we would be able to tackle a specific part of the problem:grin:

Jon

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007
  15. pabickwermert

pabickwermert Member

Try Opening Up The Plug Gap To .034

When I set my plug to the short side, it was a D O G...

After I opened up the gap to .034 it ran much better.

The plug gap is still in the range it states so give it a try. :rolleyes:

Paul

16. kaploink

kaploink Member

It sounds almost like he has a smaller rear sprocket than your kit.