Now It Runs!!!

jroyse

Local time
1:06 AM
After long days of tinkering, re-wiring, carb rebuilding, exhaust re-fitting it just would not run above an idle. As a last ditch effort I replaced the spark plug and off it went!! Why didn't I do the easy stuff first. Thats what I tell everybody else. This is the 99 Whizzer I got off craigslist for $200. Next will be fixing the big wowee in the rear wheel. Still have no parts or answers from Whizzer USA in Texas. Been over 3 week now.
Thanks to everyone for the help in getting the bike running.
Jim

After long days of tinkering, re-wiring, carb rebuilding, exhaust re-fitting it just would not run above an idle. As a last ditch effort I replaced the spark plug and off it went!! Why didn't I do the easy stuff first. Thats what I tell everybody else. This is the 99 Whizzer I got off craigslist for $200. Next will be fixing the big wowee in the rear wheel. Still have no parts or answers from Whizzer USA in Texas. Been over 3 week now.
Thanks to everyone for the help in getting the bike running.
Jim

Pictures Please!!!

Hi jroyse,

Best to replace the rear coaster brake hub, as the original will most likely destruct.

The sproke flanges are pressed on and the extra pull of the motor will cause the flanges to move to center. When the spoke flanges move to the center, the wheel is similar to a "wet noodle", and may cause a crash.

Use a Shimanto, or Hi-Stop hub to replace original.

Have fun,

jroyse i'm still using the same original hub that came on my 2000 sportsman with over 2000 miles on it. it might be better going with workman wheels if you need to change from your original ones, you being in your senior years, i don't see you as being a hot rodder or don't over apply your rear brake and you should be ok. Ray

Attachments

• DSCN2777.jpg
    DSCN2777.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN2778.jpg
    DSCN2778.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN2779.jpg
    DSCN2779.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN2780.jpg
    DSCN2780.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN2781.jpg
    DSCN2781.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN2783.jpg
    DSCN2783.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 190
more pics........

Attachments

• DSCN2770.jpg
    DSCN2770.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN2771.jpg
    DSCN2771.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN2772.jpg
    DSCN2772.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN2774.jpg
    DSCN2774.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN2775.jpg
    DSCN2775.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 206
Hi Guys,

The brakes have very little to do with the new edition Whizzer coaster brake rear wheel issues. The actual problem occurs because of starting the motor. The most pressure on the spokes & spoke flanges is present when the wheel is used in the procees of turning the motor over to start.

This is a very serious issue as someone could easily be hurt when the wheel goes "limp".
Although some may manage to get more mileage from the wheel than others, the odds are in the 98% failure rate.

Every one of my personal collection of new edition Whizzers with the coaster brake have FAILED [not some, but all of them]! Let me say this again...........All of them failed. I have at least 30 broken hubs laying on the shelf. When the first one failed, I thought it was a rare event, and replaced it with another identical hub, after replacing several more I noticed a pattern. After about 30 I concluded it was a real problem and exchanged the remaining hubs with vintage Bendix & New Departure units. After my supply of vintage hubs was depleted, I started using Hi-Stop hubs.

This is a real safety issue, and I hope no one is hurt thinking these wheels are OK because a few managed to get a few thousand miles on them.

Have fun,

I've got workman wheels from back in 2004 for my sportsman, i'm in no hurry.

Back