Carby NT Carb Tuning Basics

Carb Slide Assembly

Here's a sketch of the right way to put the slide assembly together:-
(Many people aren't sure about this.)

Carb Slide Connections.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the top cap that the throttle cable goes through is too tight, it can distort the housing enough to bind the slide too. Try backing it off a bit.

sounds like your slide is hanging up on that little notch in the carb. try taking the slide back out, make shure you have the cable and all the goodies in proper order.

install slide with notch in slide lined up with notch in carb, then tighten top.
BEFORE starting engine, give throttle many gentle twists to make sure it works properly and returns to fully closed when you let go. You can also tke off the air filter and look inside the carb and make sure the slide is working correctly.:D

My post with the slide sketch wasn't in answer to A_FITZ's problem - it was merely an addition to the original info I posted.

1. His problem was weeks ago.
2. This IS NOT a thread for people to air their problems and ask for help. They can either search or start their own specific thread.
This is one of the problems with this site. Everything gets so jumbled up and obfuscated that it defeats the purpose of threads like this.
This thread should have been closed/locked long ago.

Good on ya Steve

Steve, Thanks for your excellent article above. It will really help people I'm sure. I'm having trouble with the new Grubee Skyhawk 66cc - the higher compression models with the angled spark plugs. Firstly they are blowing crank seals because of the higher compression and secondly they are very hard to get started and to get running smoothly. They are definitely a big leap backwards from the previous models that ran sweet as anything. I'm trying to get the carby to run OK cos the new motor loses power badly on hills. It might be another seal but I doubled the head gaskets to reduce the compression so the engine stays together. Don Grube loves to tinker with things and this time he's done a bit of reverse engineering I reckon.
Just found out that the inability to pull on hills is the carb needle - the C clip needs to be on the bottom groove (the one nearest the pointy end and furthest from the cable. It doesn't really like any other setting and that seems to be the case with all 3 Grubee Skyhawks I've used of the latest high compression model. Alsi decreasing the compression by glueing 2 head gaskets together seems to help the engine perform better and start more easily. They still aren't nearly as good as the older model with the plug in the centre of the head. There are a lot of things about the latest Grubees in Oz that are really dumb and I think I'll post a separate thread on that specific subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know the Right way to take the spring out of the slide so that the c-clip can be adjusted properly on the needle, and the c-clip reinstalled? I squeezed the spring open and pulled the needle and c-clip out, my way, and now the c-washer is on my computer desk. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Does anyone know the Right way to take the spring out of the slide so that the c-clip can be adjusted properly on the needle, and the c-clip reinstalled? I squeezed the spring open and pulled the needle and c-clip out, my way, and now the c-washer is on my computer desk. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

When you unscrew the top of the carb you pull out the needle with the spring, washers and piston attached. Holding this unit in your hands you can depress the spring so that the cable can be easily released. Then you can work on the C clip easily. It is just a matter of practice. To change the C clip setting now takes me about 4 minutes from start to finish. It's just a matter of practice. Use both hands when depressing the spring.

Back