Carby NT Carburetor Assembly Pics

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by srdavo, Apr 23, 2007.

1. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

the not-so magic carb

okay...let's take this puppy apart

here are a couple views of the brass slide/needle & float/bowl

full choke

no choke

assembled pic of slide/needle

cable removed. note the funny slotted washer, must be on top of the needle and clip. this allows the spring to return the needle down.

here you can see the needle valve assembly.

thanks to Tom in WV for the following quote:

Think of it as a tiny toilet bowl . when you flush (open the throttle) the float allows more water (fuel) in to replace whats been used. The purpose of the float mechanism is to keep the toilet from overflow (flooding)It only lets in whats needed as its used up. The toilet is remarkably similar to the carb except that the carb is variable speed and the toilet is all at once. This could be under the heading of "strange but true"

2. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Could someone post a good pic of the business end of the throttle cable itself? I'd like to see if I can make one up. I'm guessing it's just a small barrel, like the lever end of a 10-speed shift cable?
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

carb cable end.jpg :lol:

very small barrel!
    barrel actually fits up inside the brass slide.

the length of the cable housing is pretty important, too. not a lot of adjustment there.

good luck & hurry......

I'm getting low on throttle cables!
  4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Thanks Dave. Yep. Looks like the small barrel for a shifter. So I should be able to use that end, cut the cable to length, and use a little brass electrical screw clamp button for the other end. Worst case, I may have to pour some lead.
  5. Thanks for these pics Srdavo! My new modded tank I installed then I put my filter on backwards. Then I thought I cleaned it all out but apparantly not cause my bike would run for about 2 miles and quit. Then I hold down the tickler till gas comes out then it's 2 miles again then nothing.
    I bet I got crud in that toilet valve keeping things from flowing right.
    This carb is so simple. I'm sure I can find this crud.
    Thanks again!
  6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

hey Van....I guess these cables have 2 business ends

100_1970a1.jpg 100_1971.JPG

the larger barrel is for the throttle control......the small barrel goes to the carb.
  7. mshagg

mshagg New Member

Interesting pics, is that the typical carby one expects with a happy-time style kit?
  8. mickey

mickey Guest

My Kings "80" came with that exact type of carb, so, I think it is.
  9. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Thanks again Dave. I have an idea of how I can make my own cable. It should be pretty simple. If it goes well, I'll post it.
  10. Mary

Mary Guest

Thanks, Dave for the pics

Thanks, Dave for the pics and explanation.

And thanks to you, Feter for starting this thread.

11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Homemade throttle cable

I made a throttle cable. I used a derailleur cable. I marked it for length, and cut the cable to size. Then I took a wiring ferrule that is about the same size as the barrel on a brake cable, and drilled a small hole in it. I poked the cable through the hole and frizzed up the end of the cable. Then I heated it up and filled it with solder. First time I tried lead, but it didn't fill and adhere well. The flux core solder seems to have filled and stuck.

12. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Today at work, I found a product that would hook on the wire end of a gearshift cable to make a throttle cable for use with a brake lever. It would be adjustable. They make a little brass barrel with a hole through it for the wire, and a screw that goes in the end to secure the cable. It's called a Wire Stop. NAPA part #731-1135. Up here they are $1.19 a pair. Should be cheaper out there in the world.
  13. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

Yeah they are pretty handy them things, you get them with the Happy Time kits. Ideal for quickly adjusting the clutch by the side of the road.
  14. sparky

sparky Active Member

I might have to try this as my throttle cable is either stretching too much, or my brake lever's adjustment thingy is coming loose, which I don't understand.
  15. n2space

n2space New Member

carb pics

Thanks so much. I knew something had to go on the carb end. My kit did not have any of those parts. Just the throttle cable, no slider or pin.
  16. brisbane_boy

brisbane_boy Member

alaskavan i made my own throttel cable once. i got a bicycle break cable and just used a metal file to filed down the bussniss end to the correct size. works a treat.
  17. hill climber

hill climber Member

n2space, take the top off the carb, where the cable goes in and turn the carbupside down the slide should be in there.
  18. n2space

n2space New Member

Yeah, I figured that out after a while. LOL
  19. solitus3989

solitus3989 Member

For reference:

One time my bike just stopped working. It would run fine, but i could get no throttle. it was just slack.

The little barrel (that's inside the carb), had broken clean off so it was not pulling anything up, so no fuel was going inside, save what was needed for an idle.

I took the carb apart, and found the little barrel. it had actually migrated into the pipe that goes from the carb to the engine when i had removed the carb. (not sure how it got in there!)

luckily, my steady hands and a coat hanger got it out before it fell down into the engine.
  20. moonlake3

moonlake3 New Member

carb pictures

wht can't I see the carb pictures? maybe I have to go to a different thread?:bowdown: