NTB ruined my dads truck!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vistaman73, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Vistaman73

Vistaman73 Member

My dad noticed all week that his mileage was down on his older Blue Ford F-150, and that it was bogging a bit. Then today, it got really hot out, he was driving home and the front axle locked up on him. He couldn't afford a tow truck so he drove the final mile or so in first gear flooring it just to get it home. Everything was hot up front, rims. brakes, axle, tires, everything. He cooled it of with the garden hose and the water instantly turned to steam when sprayed on the rims. His hubs are shot, his spindles are shot, his brakes are gone, the fluid boiled the grease burned away and we know why. The only time that truck was worked on was when the front spindles where repacked at NTB. You are supposed to tighten the spindles down then back it off a little and put your coder pin in. He thinks some inexperienced kid didn't back it out at all and since he didnt drive it often it took almost a year and a really hot day for it to get so hot and have no room to expand, it broke. We have been fixing so much stuff on the truck lately this is a big blow to us. I can't beleive this happened. He are going back there and we won't let up till we get re-imbursed for all the damage that was done do to inexperience. Everytime we go take something in go get it worked on they screw it up, that's why we change our own oil. Has this ever happened to you guys?

Now that I vented, I'm happy....kinda,
    Vistaman73

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Who is NTB?
    I never have dealt with overtightened auto or truck wheel bearings, but I have repaired incorrectly shimmed Harley wheel bearings plenty of times.
    If they are too tight and the bike is ridden until they seize you typically have to cut the axle out just to remove the wheel. Lots of fun and $ for the shop, a big bummer for the customer.

Do not give up on your rightfully due warranty! A year is a long ways out for them to warranty it, but if the recorded mileage on the origional repair bill is close to the mileage now, you shouldn't have a problem if they have a good, customer respecting manager.
    If he or she is a corporate brown noser, I wish you the best of luck!

3. Vistaman73

Vistaman73 Member

NTB= National Tire And Battery. It's a repair shop that also sells alot of batteries and tires. LOL. Yeah, you shoulda seen the steam, it was really hot. I didn't think of it but we coulda fried an egg on the axle. It's really sad considering I love this truck and hope to one day drive it. :( The spindle couldnt expand with the heat and so it seized up. The front end hasn't been messed with for 20 years until then, now it's not drivable. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

4. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

If the shop turns out to be a brown nosing one, I can only think of only other reasonable option, going to a truck bone yard and getting a good used axle and doing it all your self.
    How adventurous do you feel?

5. Vistaman73

Vistaman73 Member

Ha, not my truck so I can't say. I'm pretty sure my dad is going back and confronting them about it. I'll keep yall updated on the process of fixing this truck.