Tires Nu teck foam tires, factory direct orders, reviews and results

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by happycheapskate, Apr 19, 2011.

1. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

This is similar to the thread for Airfreetires.com, but is for www.nu-teck.com http://www.nu-teck.com/ .

Bob the Boat Builder said he had an issue with his tires being shipped slowly or delayed, and said the tires received did not match his rims.

2. Bob the boatbuilder

Bob the boatbuilder New Member

Here is what I posted in the Airfree section,

I ordered a set of tires from a like company Nu-Teck, the process was long, but the tires finally arrived. My first concern was that despite ordering the special installation tool, I easily slipped the tires on with two fingers. I tested the tires to find the rear felt unsafe, almost coming off the rim and removed the tires and sent them back. I could easily pull the tire off the rim at least 1/2" and felt they were unsafe at any speed.

When ordering, I contacted the company with the exact make and model rim (sun Rhino lite 48 hole tandem rim) and measured correctly.

Although these tires were not appropriate for me I hope that other tires would be a better fit and use. The idea of riding flat free is fantastic.

Now, will I get my money back? They say 3-4 weeks for returns. Time will tell how up and up this company is.

Bob C.

3. Bob the boatbuilder

Bob the boatbuilder New Member

I am now awaiting a call back from a company representative.

The idea of air-less tires is fantastic, as I have been plagued by (of course) rear flats. Just through sheer bad luck, I have picked up several road hazard punctures in my inflated tires. Some of these road hazards are worthy of perhaps being displayed in museums.

I have recently purchased a set of schwalbe foam insert tires. http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires
    Just completing a short, 15 mile ride... so far so good.

My motorbike sped is limited to 30 mph with gearing although it would be fun to go faster.
    Being a paramedic, I have a somewhat skewed outlook about speed and helmets.

I will be posting pics of the bike soon, and discuss with anyone my building concerns.

4. happycheapskate

Remember there are 26" American size tires ("fractional sizes" such as 26x 1 3/8 etc) and 26" mountain bike standard of today (559). They are not the same thing. There are also "26" road size tires used for triathlon bikes, called 650c.

I wonder if there was a mixup or if the tire was actually defective. If it was produced to be a tire in the size you ordered, but too big, then its possible they shipped out hundreds of errant tires, causing quite a delay.

5. happycheapskate

The schwalbe website is difficult to use. I could not find any foam inserts or foam tubes.